Best gun cleaning solvents?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much the reason I switched to Hoppe's Elite, no strong fumes. M7 Pro is the same cleaner.
That's my only complaint on #9 is the fumes are strong.

Use #9 also followed by a wipe down with their oil towelettes or silicone cloth...Last night when I was cleaning the 686 with the Hoppes my wife asked if the fumes from it were toxic. Don't know I said, which she replied it sure is strong in here even with the fan on...Never thought about it..Whats the word on Hoppes #9 and others? Toxic?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine was in the military and he has told me that on some of their machine guns they would just start dumping motor oil in them to keep em going during sustained fire, dont know if it's true though he kind of liked tall tales in high school.

have used Military bug juice when out of oil in the infantry. It will work, it lubricates. lol

I like gunscrubber, though it is expensive, but some folks do have or care to take the time for a good cleaning...some guns don't particularily require it...in their case gunscrubber is the ticket.

On the other hand...nothing smells more manly or gun world than Hoppes #9. That smell just brings back good memories.

6shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like old #9 doesn't have the same ordor as in the real old days. Just bought some new a few weeks ago as the old pint glass, yes real glass ran out. Guess this stuff was close to 25 years old. Love that old #9, new must be changed to meet new air quality laws.

cheech_029

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cooler weather: CLP, or powder blast if really dirty, then CLP again.

Hot OK summers: Slip 2000 EWL

Slip doesn't seem to evaporate as fast as CLP in the heat.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much the reason I switched to Hoppe's Elite, no strong fumes. M7 Pro is the same cleaner.
That's my only complaint on #9 is the fumes are strong.

Do you mean that M7 Pro is the same as Hoppes Elite? So #9 fumes are strong but are they toxic? Never tried the Elite line yet...Which is the best? See they have a foam cleaner...

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, M7 Pro is the same formulation as Hoppe's Elite. Just finished cleaning 3 guns and no foul smell what so ever. Walmart sell's it, kinda pricey. Try it out, if you like it buy it by the quart or gallon from Midway or Optics Planet. Hoppe's says, completely odorless, non-toxic, and bio degradeable.
No idea about #9 being toxic, I still use it mainly on the bore.
M7 Pro has several products, a cleaner, CLP, copper remover, etc.

Do you mean that M7 Pro is the same as Hoppes Elite? So #9 fumes are strong but are they toxic? Never tried the Elite line yet...Which is the best? See they have a foam cleaner...

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how good these products are from Smith&Wesson? I know that have a pretty impressive looking container with the copper top...Anyone ever use their stuff? I'll bet its made by hoppes or someone else in the biz.

Latest posts

Top Bottom