Best Place To See The Ocean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Destin is a great place! I lived there for 5 years, resonable drive, rates not to bad, food is great! Go after Labor Day 9/1/14 to save on lodging and the crowds go WAY down. I'm sure you will have a blast where ever you decide!

Right at 12 hours from my house. We leave at midnight, show up at noon right when the room was ready. Lots of stuff to do too.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good guidance in this thread.

I'm no expert but I really enjoyed St. Augustine Florida.

Great beaches that weren't too crowded and lots of things to see and do.

If you do ever get to St. Augustine make sure you visit the Castillo de San Marcos.

upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_5_5c_Castillo_de_87c3c2e43bf2adb017e54a0e969f21d7.jpg

And the Ripleys Believe It Or Not museum.

bestkidfriendlytravel.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_01_Ripleys_Believe_It_or_Not_.jpg

The lighthouse is supposed to be as haunted as the Castillo de San Marcos fort is. :)

images.v2.reserve123.com_product_4964_3.jpg

I've never seen the Pacific ocean but it's at the top of my list of things to do when I retire next Spring.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Los Angeles,.. basically Pasadena. I am pretty partial to Manhattan Beach because it's away from the tourist traps but close enough to Redondo Beach to have access to all that crap. I love the beaches in LA because the size of the sand you get. It's pretty amazing. You said you don't want to go to CA, and that's cool. I also spent 6 years in the Navy on the Pacific side of the world. I will tell you that if you are looking to pony up and spend some money,.. and want to be completely 'blown away' by the scope of it,.. you need to go to Hawaii. There are places that are tourist traps but there are tons of places to get out of that. If you go to the Big Island,... you will never want to leave. It is incredible. Rain forest, desert, volcanic lava flows, black sand beaches, scuba diving, hiking, etc, etc. I'm telling you,.. if you have some cash put away, screw Florida, California, North Carolina,... those places are nice but nothing,.. I mean not even in the same universe as Hawaii.

I have been at a loss for words and breath only 2 times in my life. One of those days was in Hawaii. The other was at the top of Mt. Whitney,... in California,.. the tallest mountain in the Continental US.

Not even a question in my mind,.. if I had to go to one beach,.. Hawaii would be it. Good luck choosing!!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see myself surrounded by tourists. I see myself looking over something so large that the mere thought of it scares me. <-- Taken from Shawshank Redemption.

If you don't see yourself surrounded by tourists...don't go to Destin in the summer. The wall-to-wall tshirt shops, mini-golf, and throngs of tourists will taint your experience. I like it there, but I condition myself for that particular experience when I go. If I want solitude and big water I'll choose a beach back in my native New England (but the water is freezing cold all the way through July!).

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good guidance in this thread.

I'm no expert but I really enjoyed St. Augustine Florida.

Great beaches that weren't too crowded and lots of things to see and do.

If you do ever get to St. Augustine make sure you visit the Castillo de San Marcos.

ya, supposedly the chick that cheated on the base commander with a younger Lt. was locked up in the dungeon and died. she roams the place as a ghost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom