Bill would allow CLEET certified educators to carry in OK schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://blog.newsok.com/red-dirt-ruckus/

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Rep. Mark McCullough announced today his plans to file legislation that will, among other things, allow CLEET-certified teachers and principals to carry firearms at school and at school events.

“We cannot continue to be shackled by politically correct, reflexive, anti-gun sentiment in the face of the obvious – our schools are soft targets,” said McCullough, R-Sapulpa. “It is incredibly irresponsible to leave our schools undefended – to allow mad men to kill dozens of innocents when we have a very simple solution available to us to prevent it. I’ve been considering this proposal for a long time. In light of the savagery on display in Connecticut, I believe it’s an idea whose time has come.

“ I trust my children to my local teachers and principal every day. I want to give these trusted, responsible educators the ability to defend themselves and our children in the same way any normal parent would, in the face of the unthinkable.”

McCullough and many other legislators have been seriously examining our gun laws for revision, beginning with a 2011 legislative study.

“We’ve been doing our due diligence on this topic. It’s important to get it right,” said McCullough. “CLEET certification is the exact same training our law enforcement professionals receive. Obviously we do not want firearms out and about in the school where students might have access to them. For that reason, if educators are allowed to carry firearms, it is necessary that they have them on their person at all times.”

McCullough said he plans to ensure there is funding available for CLEET certification for educators. He would also like to see schools coordinate with local police departments.

“One idea that has been discussed would be to actually designate these educators as reserve officers with local police and sheriff departments,” said McCullough.

Lawmakers are currently in the process of drafting legislation, which must be filed by 4 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2013.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.koco.com/news/politics/L.../17803048/-/2wuqo3/-/index.html?absolute=true

OKLAHOMA CITY -

State Rep. Mark McCullough announced Monday his plans to file legislation that will, among other things, allow Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training, or CLEET, certified teachers and principals to carry firearms at school and at school events.

“We cannot continue to be shackled by politically correct, reflexive, anti-gun sentiment in the face of the obvious, our schools are soft targets,” said McCullough, R-Sapulpa. “It is incredibly irresponsible to leave our schools undefended, to allow mad men to kill dozens of innocents when we have a very simple solution available to us to prevent it. I’ve been considering this proposal for a long time. In light of the savagery on display in Connecticut, I believe it’s an idea whose time has come."

“I trust my children to my local teachers and principal every day. I want to give these trusted, responsible educators the ability to defend themselves and our children in the same way any normal parent would, in the face of the unthinkable.”

McCullough said he and many other legislators have been seriously examining Oklahoma's gun laws for revision, beginning with a 2011 legislative study.

“We’ve been doing our due diligence on this topic. It’s important to get it right,” said McCullough. “CLEET certification is the exact same training our law enforcement professionals receive. Obviously we do not want firearms out and about in the school where students might have access to them. For that reason, if educators are allowed to carry firearms, it is necessary that they have them on their person at all times.”

McCullough said he plans to ensure there is funding available for CLEET certification for educators. He would also like to see schools coordinate with local police departments.

“One idea that has been discussed would be to actually designate these educators as reserve officers with local police and sheriff departments,” said McCullough.

According to McCullough, lawmakers are currently in the process of drafting legislation, which must be filed by 4 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2013.

I think this sounds fantastic.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A great idea. And workable too. I think designating them as reserve police officers as well might keep it from running afoul of federal law. I am going to do some checking on this.

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a gun owner and even more importantly as the mother of school-aged children, one of whom was born on the exact same day as a little one who lost her life in Friday's shooting in Connecticut, I whole-heartedly endorse this legislation and hope every gun owner, parent, and grandparent in Oklahoma will get behind it and PUSH HARD. We don't accept anything less than the right to self-defense with firearms in our own homes; why should we accept anything less where the safety of our children is concerned at school?

The fact that mass shootings are rare should not inform our right to protect ourselves. An entire community of people in Connecticut this afternoon is feeling no consolation from the fact that the odds were against this sort of horror ever visiting their town, their school, their babies.

And while this legislation is a good start, even better would be to see it expanded to include parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and others with children in schools who would be willing to undergo CLEET certification and serve as "parent volunteers" to help secure our schools. But at the very least it should allow ALL school employees (not just teachers and principals, but janitorial staff, cafeteria workers, secretaries, nurses, counselors, etc.) to become certified and approved to carry on campus.

Enough is enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom