Bolt Carrier Group finish? What is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...snipped

As far as lube, everyone has an opinion, so here is mine. Fireclean or Slip 2000. Both are very slick, stay where they are put, non toxic, and dont change properties with the weather or temperature.

I can assure you that Fireclean will freeze solid as a rock as will Froglube. Throw your bottle in the freezer and check it in the morning. Haven't tried that with Slip, I suspect it's GTG. But I know my homebrew synthetic will pour from the bottle at -32, right out of my deep freezer. Fireclean won't, it's a brick.

O/P the black coating is manganese phosphate or maybe zinc phosphate. They are great gun coatings as they hold up well against corrosion and soak up lube.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pick up a Respected NIB-X for the same price as another Respected Bolt as many sources are overstocked or stock-piling yet having sales every so ofter. i.e.. Botach, Primary Arms, Brownells, etc...... in the $130 range.

I was working with a developer and either his or a labs results found Fail Zero's coating to be harder than the rest....... I use WMD, which I believe they are/were Ex - FZ folks as with nearly every industry. I don't think you can go wrong.

Other Thoughts are NP3 Plus from ROBAR and Nitride/Isonite/Melonite....... The melonite metal treatment CAN be hard on Bolts if done incorrectly... That process is 'fairly' new to the BCG world.

My Opinion - Carbo-Nitride is the way to go for corrosion prevention (barrels etc), for cleaning ease and less lube NIB-X or NP3 Plus. Cerakote after that and their newer MicroSlick is ponderous - very slick but very thin too and for the cost???... spend it on a Respected BCG that is treated/coated from the source...

Bolts and Extractors - S7 to 9310 to C158. Everyone has an argument.

Double TIRDS -- I picked up some Fireclean to really test in the Frozen Tundra against WeaponShield and Slip this coming winter. Back to AmsOil Synthetic.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can assure you that Fireclean will freeze solid as a rock

I will give that test a try. I have not experienced that phenomenon, but I also haven't put a bottle in a freezer.
In the meantime...

Edit: i saw your post over at Brian Enos and you mentioned that the FC "firmed up", as opposed to the solid brick that Frog Lube became. Have you done another test where the FC froze solid, or was that the same test?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got an Anderson nib x coated bcg for $120. And aim surplus has them for dirt cheap as well. And they have an amazing warranty. You can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Another option with aim is here nitride coated bcg's.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will give that test a try. I have not experienced that phenomenon, but I also haven't put a bottle in a freezer.
In the meantime...

Edit: i saw your post over at Brian Enos and you mentioned that the FC "firmed up", as opposed to the solid brick that Frog Lube became. Have you done another test where the FC froze solid, or was that the same test?

Sorry I just now saw your reply. It's been awhile, but as I remember it they both froze, but the FC did thaw really quickly. Like starting as soon as you pull it out and unscrew the cap you can see it re-liquefying quickly. But I had my synthetic homebrew in with them and it didn't have any trouble pouring from the bottle so the FC and FL were a fail in my opinion.

Edit: IIRC, what I was talking about being sticky was Frog Lube after it had being the gun for several months. It kind of tried to turn to glue in my Benelli's action. I also heard about the same time some of the 3gun Nation pro guys say that their rifles were doing the same and that they felt "sluggish". That was with both FC and FL. I think both the FC and FL are pretty dang good for corrosion but I don't like either for lube. If you are servicing your gun very frequently, like one does when deployed which is what they were really designed for they are probably fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom