Boring out a barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started calling gunsmiths a little late today and only talked to the gunsmith at Gunworld. I am boring out a 243 to a 308, what is a reasonable price and turn around for this kind of work? Also suggestions on who to go to for quality work. I do not mind paying more to get quality work done. I know Gunworld has a bad rep. but if they have a good smith I will use them. He said it would be about 240 to get it done.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of rifle is it? I think you'd probably be better off just buying a new barrel and taking it to Mechanical Accuracy if it's a bolt gun.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand it is not an easy process to rebore a bbl. Are you sure they $240 seems to me like a good price on a re barrel for anything but a Savage or other barrel nut design which you can do yourself.

Evan

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no gunsmith that I know of that would take on that job. It makes no sense. Getting a new barrel will be cheaper and more accurate. You may have to wait but I doubt it's 9 months.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well when I contacted DPMS they laughed and said 9 months. Midway USA sold out in less than an hour, so if you know any better ideas on how to get a barrel let me know. I have talked to Krieger, Douglas, Lilja, and many custom barrel makers and it is anywhere from 6 to 8 months. So a 3 week turn around time and 240 does not sound bad to me. And if you could let me know where you get a 308 dpms barrel for less than 240 that would be great! I have also researched the process and you do not loose accuracy if you have a good gunsmith.

Now back to my question, does anyone know a good gunsmith that will do this? If so what is a reasonable price per hour for a gunsmith?

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm telling you that what Gunworld quoted you was most likely not what you think it is. Someone is mis-communicating. If They really are going to re bore it let us know. I don't think anyone re bores barrels let alone that cheap.

You would have to remove the bbl
Deep Drill it to the land diameter of the new bore.
Cut the rifleing (grooves)
Chamber and headspace the bbl
Re install bbl
Plus all that work will require it to be re blued or finished.

Even if I had the equipment and no business it wouldn't be worth flippin the switch on the Lathe at 240

Evan

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would wait..... Its a complete waste of time and money to attempt this to achieve a common caliber combination such as this.

Reboring used to a common job, but is nearly unheard of in these times. I can guarantee you will cost at least three times the $240 quoted, possibly more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom