Bought a new Tacoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have those things out.

I had a Suburban, 350 auto, when kids were home. Bought a camper, made a weekend trip. Headed home and was facing a strong headwind. Wouldn't make over 45 mph and got 4 mpg.

Traded it off the next week.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a ‘21 Tacoma v6 and it tows very well. No issues pulling my 18’ trailer with JD tractor at about 4200 lbs. towed my camper at 3200 lbs to Utah and back via Wolf Creek Pass CO and had zero issues. I am impressed with how it performs.
I believe the early gen 3 Tacomas have a terrible program. Many have re-programmed/tuned their ECU with after market tunes. Toyota will not do it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, it’s the V6 with the “hunts for gear transmission”
Mine was a 95, last one made in Japan. It outran lots of American V8's from the stoplight to where the lanes merged before crossing the bridge when I had to work for a living which was a tad less than 1/4 mile. The HP to weight ratio was in my favor. If I remember right, the 96 or 97 models were 7" wider and several hundred pounds heavier.
The second owner of mine after we sold it says it's still running strong after just under 500K miles. I sold it at 356,000 miles give or take a few.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totaled my '08 Taco last Feb. during an ice storm. Hit a concrete divider. Lost most of my tranny fluid and coolant, and the thing was still driving like nothing happened. Little bit of bent frame meant State Farm just wrote it off.

Looking for another one in the near future.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was a 95, last one made in Japan. It outran lots of American V8's from the stoplight to where the lanes merged before crossing the bridge when I had to work for a living which was a tad less than 1/4 mile. The HP to weight ratio was in my favor. If I remember right, the 96 or 97 models were 7" wider and several hundred pounds heavier.
The second owner of mine after we sold it says it's still running strong after just under 500K miles. I sold it at 356,000 miles give or take a few.
I like everything about my truck except it’s gearing and shift points. If I manually Place it in 4th gear for in town driving it screams along at 2000 rmp going 40 mph. If I Manually put it in 6th gear it’s between 1000-1100 rpm going 40 mph. Then, to get it to down shift you have to fire wall the accelerator peddle.

Starting off from a traffic signal in drive, the transmission is in a hurry to get to 6th gear. It doesn’t let the rpm’s climb one bit. You can push the “Extra Power” button on the dash which changes the shift points but you’ll burn through the gas doing that. All in all it’s very aggravating and doesn’t push me into wanting another Tacoma.

I understand the 24 models are changing a lot. 4 cylinders with turbos, more horsepower and torque but this also begs the question of reliability. Most car companies don’t have a good track record with first year models. Ford being one that really screwed the pooch with their Bronco release.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great job Grandpa!
God, I miss my Tacoma. 95 model with zero mechanical issues after 356,000 miles.
Should have kept it for a farm truck vs selling it. I had absolute confidence in forging any mudhole in front of me knowing it was going to come out on the other end.
Never got that same confidence from the Tundra that came after it or the current F-250.
Tires the major issue I guess as the current models sported AT tires vs mud lugs.
Don't feel too bad. The timing chain eats its way through the water somewhere around 4-500,000. I have a 1st gen I bought new with 11 miles on it, it's reg cab and I've out grown it, and I am even kinda sick of it and its boring reliability, but with approximately 30 more years of mileage left on the odometer I can't justify getting rid of it. Plus the payload stomps the new models by around 500 pounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. The timing chain eats its way through the water somewhere around 4-500,000. I have a 1st gen I bought new with 11 miles on it, it's reg cab and I've out grown it, and I am even kinda sick of it and its boring reliability, but with approximately 30 more years of mileage left on the odometer I can't justify getting rid of it. Plus the payload stomps the new models by around 500 pounds.
It's commonly said that when the world ends and there will only be two things left on this earth. One will be a cockroach and the other will be a still functioning 3.4 liter Toyota engine.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom