Brake Cleaner for Firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be real reluctant to use Brake Fluid on Parkerized Finishes.....
Parked finished are much tougher than they get credit for. What Gunbuffer said is very accurate.

Parkerizing is a manganese phosphate coating but some use zinc phosphate. Manganese tend to be a bit darker.

I had a 25' chain that was the excess cut off of a 2.5 ton jib crane hoist. I pre-cleaned and zinc phosphate coated it in the tanks we used to coat our tool joints (oilfield). As soon as it came out of the phosphate tank, I commenced to spraying it with the preservative oil that we used while it was still hot.

That thing stayed in the bed of my truck for a good 3 years and only then started rusting lightly.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s fine. Only issue is you better re-oil it right afterwards

What I have heard and read as well, also to use the non-chlorinated stuff. I had a place in my action on my model 60 that could not be removed and had alot of oil, no matter what I tried could not get it out so I used brake cleaner to get rid of it, then went back with some oil and put a couple small dabs and worked it in. They do say keep off the stock, and off the plastics it will get rid of all oil completely but make sure to go back and reoil it does pull oil out of metal.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I have heard and read as well, also to use the non-chlorinated stuff. I had a place in my action on my model 60 that could not be removed and had alot of oil, no matter what I tried could not get it out so I used brake cleaner to get rid of it, then went back with some oil and put a couple small dabs and worked it in. They do say keep off the stock, and off the plastics it will get rid of all oil completely but make sure to go back and reoil it does pull oil out of metal.
All I’ve ever used was chlorinated. The green can stuff is garbage compared to red.
I’ve drenched polymer frames and then air dried from everyone, Glocks Xd, sig ruger, you name it. Just don’t want to do rattlecanned or poorly coated stuff. All it does is pull the oil out of the plastic and make it look not as black and shiney

Latest posts

Top Bottom