Building 24" AR in 223 to shoot 1000yds. Scope Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to hang with the big dogs and their 6.5/284 bolt guns, I tried 800 yd accuracy shooting with my 24" RRA Varminter. 77gr SMK's float on the breeze past about 600 yd.

I loaded a few Berger 80gr bullets and did a bit better, and a very few 90gr (Unk mfg., think they were Berger. Handed to me by a competitor, then loaded in the bed of my truck. Had to make a expident COL gauge to keep the bullets off the lands, then had to hand load into the chamber, too long for mag). The 90 gr bullets were accurate, but the wind still pushed them around quite a bit.

For me, the reality is that my very accurate AR is not suited for 1 foot steel plates at 800 yd. Had a fun weekend trying. YMMV

Scope? Leup VX3 6.5-20. OK, but not up to the task like others with the Nightforce and custom boosted Leup target scopes.

Long range shooting is expensive and time consuming.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My .223AI bolt rifle shoots 69, 75, 77, and 80 grain bullets pretty well.

Scope is a US Optics SN3 3.2-17. I had a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 on it, but prefer the USO.

Here in OK we get enough wind that a larger/heavier caliber would be much better at distance.

It's hard to beat the high BC bullet choices for 6.5mm, 7mm, 30cal (and .338).

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj, hell you have enough room out there in Pryor to shoot that far? that would be a pretty good stretch for the truck to get up there. My little borther lives in Eufaula let me talk to him and we might make a trip up your way one of these weekends.

What kind of shootin' iron do you have? if you have a mess of yotes out there we may have to work something out ;) Later,

Kirk

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctorjj, hell you have enough room out there in Pryor to shoot that far? that would be a pretty good stretch for the truck to get up there. My little borther lives in Eufaula let me talk to him and we might make a trip up your way one of these weekends.

What kind of shootin' iron do you have? if you have a mess of yotes out there we may have to work something out ;) Later,

Kirk

I have some bolt guns. Nothing too fancy. I also have a DPMS LR308 with a 24" bull barrel that is easy sub-MOA. Several Long range type AR's including a 6.5 Grendel that I just picked up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom