Building my Square body crew cab short bed 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It lived in El Reno for several years. I was the second owner of that truck. The original owner was from Phoenix.
Did it have a huge topper on it? I took it off. been on it since it was repainted many years ago.

Stock except someone put a jasper motor in it. Motor is great but the installers did a terrible job of installing it.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it did. Still had the (yuck) window tinting between the cab and the topper that the priginal owner installed in Arizona. Only still there because I could not scrape it off without removing the topper and it was MUCH too heavy for me to try by myself.

I installed a new Edelbrock 1406 on it along with a pressure regulator from Summit. The regulator (with pressure gauge) was mounted to the fenderwell on the passenger side. Engine was a remanufactured 350 from Jasper. That truck has great bones and will make a fantastic project for you.

Maybe you would let me drop by and see the old girl sometime. :thumbup3:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it did. Still had the (yuck) window tinting between the cab and the topper that the priginal owner installed in Arizona. Only still there because I could not scrape it off without removing the topper and it was MUCH too heavy for me to try by myself.

I installed a new Edelbrock 1406 on it along with a pressure regulator from Summit. The regulator (with pressure gauge) was mounted to the fenderwell on the passenger side. Engine was a remanufactured 350 from Jasper. That truck has great bones and will make a fantastic project for you.

Maybe you would let me drop by and see the old girl sometime. :thumbup3:
Yip that it... the 1406 has been update to a AVS2 650, Pressure reg replaced but still in the same spot.

You are welcome to stop in and see it. It lives in Yukon near main and sara now.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a 2wd 1983 GMC. started the conversion. Got the front axle in and driving again. About to start deciding on which rear and gear ratios. Feeling excited to finally get this going.
You're tire diameter will determine what your gear ratio should be. The old 14 bolt corporate axle was a good choice if it's a 3/4 ton but gear ratios are limited versus a Dana axle but if you don't get too "INSANE" on tire size I would say a 3.73 or 4.11 should work up to 33" tires

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're tire diameter will determine what your gear ratio should be. The old 14 bolt corporate axle was a good choice if it's a 3/4 ton but gear ratios are limited versus a Dana axle but if you don't get too "INSANE" on tire size I would say a 3.73 or 4.11 should work up to 33" tires
Correct. I just haven't decided yet. Has 3:73 posi in the rear now, but might rehear to get a little more highway friendly gears depending on what trans I decide to go with.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This math I use often to figure RPM at speed.
336 is a given to make the math work and this is with Zero converter slippage so basically a standard trans will get these numbers.
And do not go by advertised tire diameter you need to measure the diameter of the tire as it sits on the vehicle.

336 X MPH X Gear Ratio ÷ Tire diameter.

I checked my 3/4 ton 14 bolt and it has 4.10 or 4.11 ratio.
TH400 and I will add in 10% for converter slippage.

Math shows 2,895 RPM at 65 MPH with a 31" tire add about 280 rpm to that for a non lock up automatic.
33" tire puts the math at 2,720 RPM. at the same speed.
28" tire = 3,205 RPM.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. Similar to what I would like to do, but I want 2WD. Square Body Crew Cab SB with 1/2 Ton running gear and either a L83 or L86 with an 8L80 or 10L80 transmission. That or maybe a 67-72 Suburban.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Correct. I just haven't decided yet. Has 3:73 posi in the rear now, but might rehear to get a little more highway friendly gears depending on what trans I decide to go with.
If the motor is a 350, I wouldn’t go with a higher gear than the 3.73 and would probably do the lower 4.11s if it was mine. That Corporate 14 is bullet proof and was used in all the K20 and K30s. I bought an 1984 K30 out of Huntsville TX to rob the Dana 60 and Corporate 14 bolt axles as a donor for the K5 I built. If you are concerned about the strength of the 14 bolt, there is a 40 spline axle shaft upgrade that you can do, but thats overkill for anything under 40” tires. I ran 42” Iroks on mine with no issues. And I was running 5.38 gears and lockers.

Good luck on the build. Those are rather as in very rare! Can’t wait to see the finished rig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom