Buying a firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

falsetooth

The firearms I have bought in the past few years have been purchased through a store or dealer, and I have filled out the ATF papers. When I buy a firearm via this forum, or any other private individual what type of documentation to protect both the buyer and seller should be included? Thanks for your help.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All that is required is the seller should not believe the buyer is a prohibited person and resides in the same state.

From a more practical application, as the seller, I would keep a bill of sale with a description of the firearm and serial number along with the name of who I sold it to.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I request they bring a valid OK DL to the deal and take a photo of it for my records. And I do a bill of sale for myself so I have documentation of who I sold the firearm to, date, etc.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one is going to make a comment about Firemen not being for sale? Ok, guess it is for me to do.

Nothing required here far as ID, etc on a gun purchase. Depends on how I purchased the gun. If I used my C&r (no longer have) then I have to have id and record of who I sold it to for my book. otherwise no such requirement. If I am buying and selling frequently (doing lots of 4473's) then it may be a good idea to keep a record (though it is not required) but if the atf visited you could at least have something to say this is where they went. Sucks, but it can happen.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When buying form a licensed FFL dealer, I just fill out the standard paperwork and get a bill of sale with the dealer's business / address / phone # recorded on it... then write the Serial # on the receipt if it is not recorded already and save it along with a photo of the weapon in my files.

From a private sale, in order to make sure it is not a stolen gun... I make out a dated bill of sale indicating the serial number & model of the weapon, their printed and written name, and ask to see the person's license or state ID. I verify their name and record their address info, and the DL / ID #. If they complain, I point out that they would have to give out that same info if they sold the weapon at a pawn shop. If they still complain.. then it is deal off because something is probably illegal somewhere. If it is even a remotely questionable purchase, it also doesn't hurt to have them handle the bill of sale.. such as reading it to make sure everything is correct.. having their identifying finger prints on the paper might just come in handy down the road someday if it turned out the gun was stolen or had been used in a crime.

Last edited:
F

falsetooth

Thank you for your input. Buying on the secondary market is new, and I want to make sure everyone concerned is protected. I want to assure ALL of you I do not want under any circumstances to buy a fireman!!! I do want to buy a firearm!!! Thank you again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom