Buying a Speed-queen washer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We also purchased the TR7 washer and dryer 2.5 years ago and wouldn't buy anything else again. They appear expensive, but if you pay for the extended warranty for a Samsung or LG you'll spend as much for an inferior machine. We may have to never buy another set.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rather have mechanical controls than electronic any day. Circuit boards aren't cheap and a mechanical control is easier to replace hand probably more reasonable in cost. I've replaced a couple of circuit boards in my WP refrigerator and each was over $100.00.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw told that on SQ the electronic version is actually more reliable than the mechanical. Thats why it comes with a 7 year warranty vs 5 year. Either way I hope I never have to find out lol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the mechanical style washer and dryer know this.
That setup has a bunch of points like in an old points distributor.
Only turn the knob with the power OFF.
If you have the power on and turn the knob to stop the machine or change the setting
the points will arc quickly and you can ruin them if you do it enough times.

Ruin as in the points can become stuck/welded together and you will notice some cycles do not work.
Turn the knobs with power off and enjoy 30+ years of use if they are as good as the old Kenmore stuff.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw told that on SQ the electronic version is actually more reliable than the mechanical. Thats why it comes with a 7 year warranty vs 5 year. Either way I hope I never have to find out lol.

Mechanical Timer Top load Washer TC5 Models (5000 Series) • Three (3) years parts and labor limited warranty on the complete washer. • Five (5) year limited warranty on cabinet assembly against rust from the inside out. Year 4 through 5 parts only limited warranty. • Five (5) year limited warranty on the motor. Year 4 through 5 parts only limited warranty. • Fifteen (15) year limited warranty on the transmission assembly. Year 4 through 15 parts only

Thats a pretty good warranty.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a number of you have them
What model do you have and would you get the same or a upper or lower model I’m looking at the middle model TC5
I have the TC5. The transmission is noisy but built super strong, and the agitation cleans better than the TR. Looks easy to work on, but I've had zero trouble (bought 2014). I had an old Kenmore for 30 years that finally seeped out the main bearing; the Speed Queen reminds me of its sturdiness.

Last edited:

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
****, wish I would have seen this thread yesterday. Wife called me and said our 4 year old ge washer wouldn't stop filling with water and was about to flood the house. Luckily she turned off the water valves, needless to say I bought a Whirlpool from Lowes and the 5 year protection plan. Hopefully this one will last a while.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TR3
Bought in November 2019
it did come with a 10 year warranty.
I think they were trying to give these things away

as far as washing I think it's the worst wash machine I've ever had as far as removing dirt from clothing
Around 2018/19 Speed Queen had to make some modifications to meet government standards for water use. The early models had problems. SQ then corrected the issues. I made certain mine was a 2020 when I bought it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought the TR7 a couple of years ago and I wound up with them in the divorce. Yes I love them but no I wouldn't spend that much again. That's just me. Other than cost they have been awesome. Cost isn't everything though, if it makes the Mrs. happy it may be money very well spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom