Buying a varmit rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to pick up a new rifle, for going out and shooting some coyotes and prairie dogs. I'm thinking .223, and I'm wanting to keep my cost of the rifle under $600. It's a bit cheap, but I'm just wanting something reasonably accurate for about 200-250 yards, that I won't wanna cry when it gets scuffed up. I've been considering a cheap AR, but I'm really considering a mossberg MVP or a remington 700. Suggestions? Insights? I'm a bit new to varmits, my old lady's dad took me out after some coyotes and prairie dogs after we got done quail hunting this weekend, and I'm dying to go again already.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use an M&P 15 sport with 1/9 twist and love it. I use the P223 scope from Nikon and the $10 JP trigger springs. Mine shoots 55gr ammo really well. I haven't really tried anything larger. I think a 223 bolt gun makes a great varmint rifle as well. Just a matter of preference. As far as the 223 goes it great out to 300 yds., it is cheap, easy to find, and low recoil. This makes it almost the perfect coyote round. Warning predator hunting is addictive. I love it almost as much deer hunting.

Good luck.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking at the m&p 15 sport, I can get one at a reasonably generous law enforcement discount due to my veteran status, and from my time in the marine corps I am very familiar with it. Accuracy wise, how does it hold up? Also, the lack of an ejection port cover worries me, due to foreign debris and such. The lack of a port cover is also speaking to me as well, due to how I hold the rifle my finger sometimes finds it's way to keeping it from opening all the way, thus causing jams.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far accuracy, mines is very accurate. Mine will shoot 3 shots to less than 1 inch using Hornady, Federal, or Fiocchi 55 grain ammo. Most of grouping was done to test the ballistic reticle markings of the Nikon P233 scope I use. It even shoots Wolf gold really well. I have never grouped it beyond 100 yards, but it I have shot steel out to 300 yds on several occasions. My nephews (ages 14 and 17 )had no problem shooting a plow disc/gong at 300 yds. 10 out of 10 times with Wolf Gold. They had never shot the rifle before. I simply told them which dot in in reticle to hold on. That is accurate enough for me. As far as dust cover goes, mine rides in the on the front of 4 wheeler and in dirty truck most of time that I hunt with it. I rarely clean it (1 to 2 times per year), but I have never had a FTF, or FTE. I have probably shot close to 1,000 rounds thus far. So far I have not missed the lack of dust cover or forward assist.

If you are looking for dust a cover and forward assist, Ruger just came out with a new AR and there are number of posters on here that really like Palmetto State Armory uppers and lowers. They are all in the same price rage as an M&P Sport.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any well put together AR with a free floated barrel should be fine for varmints. Palmetto State armory has a slick deal on a nice upper for $399 right now. You could build a nice lower for less than $200 but then you need an optic.

If you are going with a bolt gun save yourself the disappointment and get a Savage. Buy THIS GUN COMBO and you are done shopping, go buy ammo and start taking down critters.

That's $550 and includes a half decent scope. if you dont like the scope sell it for $100 on here on the classifieds and you are into that gun for $450 which is an AWESOME deal. That gun itself, the gun alone nothing else, is typically just north of $800.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are wanting to go the traditional, heavier barreled varmint rifle style, you could do something like a savage 12fv and bushnell elite tactical fixed 10x. That combo is gonna be a bit over your budget but not by a ton. Combine it with an EGW 1 piece base and SWFA SS rings or Burris XTRs. I had a similar setup,with an inferior scope and it would ring a plate at 500m.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Save yourself some money and find a Stevens in 22-250. Same as old savage 110. Very accurate.....spend money on good glass n shells. SSP had one for sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom