Buying a varmit rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, most people serious about accuracy double their rifle budget on glass FYI. A $1k rifle wears $2k in glass.

That's non-sense.

Tactical high end shooters will have 5-7k in the rifle and 2-3k in the glass.
In F-class you can have $1500 glass regardless of the price of the rifle which ranges 1k-7k.
Varmint shooting will depend on how you use your rifle and how far you shooting.
If you are using hold-overs with 223 in windy Oklahoma - honestly a $60 Center Point will do just fine.

Money in scope gets you quality and features that only shooter can tell - which are not any form attached to the price of the iron under the said optic.

P.S. I shoot my $100 rimfire with $1200 Sightron SIII as well as $1500 6PCC with $80 Bushnell Banner.

OP: Buy AR-15 and a scope - grow from there.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Academy used to sell Rem 700's for less than $400 new, and I think the basic Savage's for right around that too. Buy one of these in 22-250 or even 243, you will have a better all around gun, then spend about $200 on a Nikon ProStaff or Vortex Diamondback scope in the 3-9/4-12 range and you will be good for coyotes. I killed a coyote a few weeks back @ 325 yards, with just a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope on that gun. If you are calling, most of your shots should be less than 200 yards, this one just wouldn't play along. Just my opinion, take it or leave it :)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ended up trading some stuff for a M&P 15 sport, dropped a UTG pro extended Carbine forend on it, Nikon m223 one piece scope mount, Nikon p223 3-9x BDC 600 scope, cheap bipod, and MFT minimalist stock and grip on it. I'm just waiting for my flash hider to come in and I'll take it out to Canadian valley to sight it in. Supposed to get the last piece in on Friday, hopefully go out to the range Saturday and zero it out and finally get to shoot it. Thanks guys!!! I'll post pics and a shooting review or something later.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You made a good choice. Try the JP trigger springs in it and smooth up the trigger parts when you have them out to install the springs. Owasso made a great suggestion on that. It will help. I built an AR last year and went with the JP springs and the trigger is better than a plain military grade trigger. It is not a match trigger but it is improved.

I would have suggested a savage model 16 in .223 for a bolt gun. It is their all weather version. It has the accu bedding and accu trigger. I love my Savage varmint rifle but it is too heavy for hunting coyotes in the manner I would want to hunt them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom