Buying first house, stationed at Altus AFB. HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m open to any help or advice I can get, especially for first time home buyers and information about the Altus area.

Anyone know much about Altus and can help me out?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Altus AFB!! Who did you piss off lol!!! Spent a lot of time down there doing a lot of storm damage repair!! Altus is rough with a few patches of newer development. If I were going to buy it would be in one of the smaller towns around the area, or a piece of property.... Altus proper............ no thanks!!!

Good luck and invest in a good security system if you buy in Altus!!

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cannot help much on Altus specifics but as a long time mortgage lender - pick a lender and a Realtor you have complete confidence and trust in. Look into down payment assistance programs like Oklahoma Finance Housing Agency's program or the REI Oklahoma's DPA program as you consider your financing options. Pre-qualification should be absolutely free and have no strings attached. You mentioned Altus as a duty station so you need to check into VA home loan options to see if you qualify for a non down payment VA home loan. Always choose a fixed rate loan.

This is the biggest financial decision most folks ever make - take your time and be deliberate. Weigh your options wisely.

Lastly, thank you for your service.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife is a Realtor in Lawton, she can put you in touch with her preferred agent in the Altus area if you wish. If you are interested just blast me a PM and she will respond accordingly. Like @okierider said Altus can be interesting at times. Both of us, rider and I are retired Army and will help ya out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Altus AFB!! Who did you piss off lol!!! Spent a lot of time down there doing a lot of storm damage repair!! Altus is rough with a few patches of newer development. If I were going to buy it would be in one of the smaller towns around the area, or a piece of property.... Altus proper............ no thanks!!!

Good luck and invest in a good security system if you buy in Altus!!

I just didn’t know the way things worked! When I put together my list of desired locations I put the state of Oklahoma first, thinking I would be stationed at Tinker and wouldn’t have to leave home. The rest of my list was like Texas, Colorado, Florida, etc. I was thinking if I didn’t get Tinker then I would be somewhere else decent, low and behold I forgot Altus and Vance AFBs existed. Technically they gave me exactly what I asked for! :(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cannot help much on Altus specifics but as a long time mortgage lender - pick a lender and a Realtor you have complete confidence and trust in. Look into down payment assistance programs like Oklahoma Finance Housing Agency's program or the REI Oklahoma's DPA program as you consider your financing options. Pre-qualification should be absolutely free and have no strings attached. You mentioned Altus as a duty station so you need to check into VA home loan options to see if you qualify for a non down payment VA home loan. Always choose a fixed rate loan.

This is the biggest financial decision most folks ever make - take your time and be deliberate. Weigh your options wisely.

Lastly, thank you for your service.

I rarely listen to Dave Ramsey’s radio talk show but had it on the other day. One thing I picked up is he said to run away from VA home loans.
I have no idea why, and he didn’t elaborate.
Any insight from a lenders point of view?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it could’ve been worse, you could have been sent somewhere horrible-like...California. Or Massachusetts. Or New York City.

My old boss at the power plant was an analyst with ASA. Army Security Agency.
He pised off the wrong person and spent the rest of his time in the service stationed at Shemya Alaska.
Way out there on the Aleutian chain. Said it was the most miserable he had ever been.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy what you can afford, as nice as you can afford... When you ship out, it'll be easier to unload. Land is hella expensive, but it's easier on the wallet to score home package. Nobody is afraid of buying used trailer homes over there, but you'll only get land value out of it when you eventually move. If you're dead set on county, look at home kits at Fox or Sutherlands and DIY. If you go that route, give me a shout, I pitch in for beer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom