Calling all Marines! Recruiter comes tonight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tonight at 7pm a Marine recruiter is coming to the house because my step-son has made the decision. Now my step-son is 21 and still lives at home. I'm 110% behind his decision but after my wife spoke to a few family and friends who are also a marine, they had put in her head that Gary (my son) needs to know what he wants to do because they do not give you all the options when you sign up (training, choices, life paths, career).

Before he gets here tonight can anyone WITH EXPERIENCE suggest or give me some insight to things I should relay to Gary or ask the recruiter and/or tell my wife.

On a side note, try not to focus on Gary being 21. I try everyday.:hithead:

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not the time to join a feminized and homosexualized military. 0bama is doing everything he can to weaken and destroy the military in order to turn this country into a third world hell-hole. Timing is everything and now is not the time.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the AF but I was told and I made sure I had a job in line when I signed up. I wanted to be in the maintenance field and I got the job I wanted.

When my son joined the AF I told him to get the job he wanted and he did, he got an IT job. He now is out after 6 years and has a good job in the real world.

I've seen people join with no job guaranty and they got stuck doing jobs no one would ever pick on there own. They get out and can't get a job in what they were trained for because it doesn't transfer to the real world.

I'm not sure how the Marines do things but I would tell him not to join unless he can get the job of his choice.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tonight at 7pm a Marine recruiter is coming to the house because my step-son has made the decision. Now my step-son is 21 and still lives at home. I'm 110% behind his decision but after my wife spoke to a few family and friends who are also a marine, they had put in her head that Gary (my son) needs to know what he wants to do because they do not give you all the options when you sign up (training, choices, life paths, career).

Before he gets here tonight can anyone WITH EXPERIENCE suggest or give me some insight to things I should relay to Gary or ask the recruiter and/or tell my wife.

On a side note, try not to focus on Gary being 21. I try everyday.:hithead:

First, I have nothing against the Marines, but has he considered the Air Force? My wife has two family members who we talked to about joining the Air Force, one joined the Navy the other the Army, neither of them are in now. Nothing wrong with either branch and I'm not 100% sure why they got out. Just saying.

I was all about joining the Army when I was 20, I wanted to drive a tank. My dad, who was in the Army first then the Air Force talked me out of the Army and into the Air Force. He said why put up with the extra BS in the other branches when we all make the same money (there are some exceptions).

I hope this doesn't offend some, sorry if it does. Just my two cents on the subject.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a guaranteed enlistment. Make the recruiter agree on what his job or duty is before any contract is signed. Otherwise he'll probably be on his way to an infantry assignment.

With the current mess going on across the world, overseas deployment is almost guaranteed.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They get out and can't get a job in what they were trained for because it doesn't transfer to the real world.

I'm not sure how the Marines do things but I would tell him not to join unless he can get the job of his choice.

This is the big thing. My step sister went to the Navy and was a fighter mechanic or something, not a big demand for them in the real world. I joined the Air Force, guranteed an Air traffic controller job and it was the best decision I ever made.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a guaranteed enlistment. Make the recruiter agree on what his job or duty is before any contract is signed. Otherwise he'll probably be on his way to an infantry assignment.

With the current mess going on across the world, overseas deployment is almost guaranteed.

X2

There will be a list of jobs he's qualified for based on his ASVAB score, they may try and get him to list 3 jobs as backups. We had guys not knowing what there MOS was really going to be until the night before they were about to leave for MOS school!

As a Marine, he should really look in to what all the branches have to offer him.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
X2

There will be a list of jobs he's qualified for based on his ASVAB score, they may try and get him to list 3 jobs as backups. We had guys not knowing what there MOS was really going to be until the night before they were about to leave for MOS school!

So he scored on his pre-test yesterday was a 71. From my understanding that's not to bad but I know nothing regarding their set levels. Is their MOS chosen after they score and they are then assigned their first choice or what is available based on their 3 listed MOS?

The overall opinions I'm getting here is to insure he picks something that can translate to real life.?.?

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So he scored on his pre-test yesterday was a 71. From my understanding that's not to bad but I know nothing regarding their set levels. Is their MOS chosen after they score and they are then assigned their first choice or what is available based on their 3 listed MOS?
The overall opinions I'm getting here is to insure he picks something that can translate to real life.?.?

If he did really well on certain sections of the test that will help direct them towards a particular job. He will choose the MOS or MOS's after the ASVAB at MEPPS. They will write down (on the Contract) what he really wants to do but they will try and get him to pick others. Remind him he is picking a career could last at least 8 years.

All jobs will translate into a job when you get out. But is he learing a special skill that will score him a well paying job when he gets out? Such as a ATC as mentioned above.

Look 4 years into the future, E-5 whith no high demand training is basically a supervisor for half of his enlistment looking for another supervisory position in the private sector.

Latest posts

Top Bottom