Calling all Marines! Recruiter comes tonight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the OP, I commend your son for his desire to sign up and serve, no matter what branch! Two things for him to consider...1) the world and country are very unstable now, so make sure he FULLY understands what he's signing up to do, and 2) make sure he's not signing up just for college money because I believe tuition assistance has been postponed for new recruits.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's worse than that...they even order you step by step how to shower. "TURN ON THE WATER! WET YOUR LEFT ARM! TURN OFF THE WATER! PUT SOAP ON YOUR LEFT ARM AND SCRUB YOU NASTY ******* D*** TUGGIN ARM! TURN ON WATER! WASH SOAP OFF YOUR NASTY ******* D*** TUGGIN ARM! etc...."

You would be correct. Until you pass the reaper, at least at MCRD, you must refer to yourself in the third person.

Well for me it was "wash your nuts, wash your butt, wash your face" the first 3 days. I hated those guys but it was the best decision I ever made. I got out, worked a few crap jobs, and got on with the VA. Your mos doesn't always matter when you get out. Doors open just from being a Marjne!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll echo the "if it's not written on paper it's not true". Recruiters are notoriously manipulative and know all the tricks to put you exactly where they need you. I've heard stories from other enlistee's that would make your eyes roll like a slot machine. My recruiter was certainly so full of b.s. he was in great danger of exploding near anything sharp. I don't have any experience with the marines other than what I've heard from friends who were previously in the corp. I can say unless he just wants to be a "marine" there are better choices. I've never heard of a "pre-ASVAB" so it's strange they would give him a score before taking the actual test.

Depending on what he scores on the actual test they will have a list of positions open that are eligible depending on score. However, it's usually infantry they need most for guys (girls now? I can't remember if that passed) so they will try to sway him in that direction. Usually with promises of sign on bonuses and other perks that may or may not actually apply. I know they promised me a bonus (not Marines) and I never got it. Chances are there are bonuses for many other MOS depending how bad that need people. GET IT IN WRITING like the guarantee the others mentioned or even having it in writing won't matter. I met a guy on base who was guaranteed (in writing) a job as a cook (he loved cooking...still a weird choice) and he was not happy when he was trained and assigned as an infantryman. Those stories are everywhere...make sure the written guarantee is an official document and not scribble on the back of another form!

I joined the Army but, still to this day, I wish I had gone Air Force as was my family "branch". ACK! I wish I had gone Air Force...Anywho if he's a gung ho, hard core type A personality he may just want to be a fighter and, if that's the case, the Marines or the Army are the two best choices. I will say I love the Marines dress blues much better than the Army's version but that probably won't factor into his decision.

Don't sign anything permanent until he has everything he wants guaranteed, officially, and he's 100% sure he wants to do it. That long ride to your training base is really bad time to decide you made a mistake. All that said, some people thrive in the military, it's certainly not a bad life. It is what you make of it so if you're going to do the time you might as well try to enjoy it (after basic....nobody enjoys basic). My father was career military and I grew up on one base or another and, honestly, I loved it, being IN the service...not so much lol.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Avoid MP as a MOS. They get all the crap duty and frequently get busted do to conflicts with senior NCO's and officers. A guaranteed (in writing) MOS is the only way to do it, but he'll have to have the ASVAB scores and record to get it. I wouldn't sign a contract without having an ASVAB score in hand and knowing what areas he excels at. That will give an idea whether the recruiter is offering a good package, or shining him on.

IIRC, my score was 118. I went in on a guaranteed "MOS group" with an enlistment bonus. There were like 6 MOS's listed and I didn't know which one I was getting till I completed boot camp. I knew I wasn't getting the two clerical ones due to poor scores in that area. I wound up as a Stinger Missile Operator.

A lot depends on how many people they're getting to sign up. The more joining, the more selective they get.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the OP, I commend your son for his desire to sign up and serve, no matter what branch! Two things for him to consider...1) the world and country are very unstable now, so make sure he FULLY understands what he's signing up to do, and 2) make sure he's not signing up just for college money because I believe tuition assistance has been postponed for new recruits.

Well his only interested is "INFANTRY – Riffleman 0311". He has apparently been doing his work and it's been on his mind. The wife took it very well last night however I'm not sure how she is going to feel about his MOS choice. Ive allowed him to read everything that has to do with the main subject (I let him skip the nut washing section). Ive tried to push him toward "INTELLIGENCE" or "GROUND ORDNANCE MAINTENANCE" but it's ultimately his decision. When i went and took my ASVAB and was getting ready to sign my mother passed away and I was forced to take custody of my 2 younger brothers so I missed out. I'm very proud right now for his decision.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was ground ordnance maintenance. If he wants to ask about it, PM me and I'll call him. It was a good field. I have a feeling if he wants 0311, he will have no problems

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of a "pre-ASVAB" so it's strange they would give him a score before taking the actual test.

When he went into the recruiters office they had him sit down and do a timed test which he scored a 71. I was at a work so I don't know all the details regarding that test but I will in about 2 hours when recruiter shows up at my door.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be "this recruit" requests permission?

Heard a funny story once. Recruit stole a kids bike and some clothes to "escape" Paris Island, he was pedaling by the guard shack when the Guard on duty waved and in a friendly manner said "where ya heading?" thinking he was a kid who lived on base. Kid on bike said "this recruit....." and they realized who he was. He went on to become a Marine after all though.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was ground ordnance maintenance. If he wants to ask about it, PM me and I'll call him. It was a good field. I have a feeling if he wants 0311, he will have no problems

Thanks. I told him what you said he he kinda just shrugged and said thanks. I laughed and walked off. Sometimes kids answers are very puzzling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom