Can I take a suppressor to TX without doing paperwork?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going hunting in august for hogs and want to bring my cab. I find conflicting info on whether or not I need to contact the ATF to bring my can or not. Silencer shop says you need to do paperwork to transport an SBR or MG across state lines but I can’t find anything on suppressors.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From ATF.gov

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?
Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28]

Last Reviewed February 8, 2016

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1682004542340.png

Chasing records

Marksman
Reaction score
I’m going hunting in august for hogs and want to bring my cab. I find conflicting info on whether or not I need to contact the ATF to bring my can or not. Silencer shop says you need to do paperwork to transport an SBR or MG across state lines but I can’t find anything on suppressors.
I have these credit card sized laminated copies of my paperwork that I just put in all my range bags and in my wallet so I have them with me wherever I take it. And I was always under the impression you had to call and talk to a local sheriff anytime you took them anywhere. Though I don’t think most do. 🤷‍♂️

Caliber 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Texas is not the problem. Federal law (ATF) laws require you to get permission to move your suppressor. Go on ATF website and download form for class 3 stuff, suppressors treated the same as machine guns, and make sure you carry that paperwork with you all the time you have that suppressor in your possession.

Latest posts

Top Bottom