Can't get my 1911 reassembled... dangit!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, my Springfield 1911 V-10 Champion has no guide rod. No barrel bushing, either, it's a bull barrel. So the spring is under tension and has to be manually held in place while putting the slide back on.

I have been manually holding the spring in place just in front of the barrel bushing (which is vertical, not horizontal like when you're pulling the barrel). I can slide the frame onto the slide and get it back to about resting position, where it simply stops. Up against something hard, metal, not bound up. I've tried this with hammer cocked, hammer down, depressing and releasing grip safety, etc. Cannot move the slide further back to allow the takedown pin to be reinserted.

I've also inserted a brass cleaning rod into the hole for the spring cap, down the length, holding the spring in place that way, but has no effect.

WTH is the problem, here???

I did this before, a long, long time ago, but for the life of me can't remember how I got it to work?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I did find my guide rod... seems shorter than the one in the video, it got lost in the stack of cleaning supplies. Sorry, I'm wiped out, and I have 11 guns to clean from yesterday's trip to the range. :(

It's fixed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang! 11 guns on one trip to the range!

(Dennis starts a slow clap) :mosh:

I think so. Was at least 11...

Spike's Lady Punisher pink AR
FDE Spike's Calico Jack AR
Spike's 24" Wilson-barreled varmint AR (aka :"Big Sexy")
RRA carbine AR
S&W M&P 15-22

Walther P22
S&W 9mm 6904 (kept short stroking - needs a GOOD cleaning)
Glock model 22
Taurus Millineum PT140
Para Ordnance LTC 1911 4.25" - this was so dirty by the end it wouldn't cycle or feed reliably
Springfield 1911 V-10 Champion 4.25"

I'm trying to think if we shot any more... I took my Taurus PT145, too, but I don't think it made it out of the case. Fun day, but the cleaning is going to kill me.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, my Springfield 1911 V-10 Champion has no guide rod. No barrel bushing, either, it's a bull barrel. So the spring is under tension and has to be manually held in place while putting the slide back on.

I have been manually holding the spring in place just in front of the barrel bushing (which is vertical, not horizontal like when you're pulling the barrel). I can slide the frame onto the slide and get it back to about resting position, where it simply stops. Up against something hard, metal, not bound up. I've tried this with hammer cocked, hammer down, depressing and releasing grip safety, etc. Cannot move the slide further back to allow the takedown pin to be reinserted.

I've also inserted a brass cleaning rod into the hole for the spring cap, down the length, holding the spring in place that way, but has no effect.

WTH is the problem, here???

I did this before, a long, long time ago, but for the life of me can't remember how I got it to work?

And this is why your aren't a surgeon.....right?????

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cleaning a gun? If mine doesn't run after a thousand rounds or so, they have a problem that needs fixed, and its not cleaning. I'm not a cleaning fanatic.

Mine hadn't been cleaned in many many moons and had been shot several times at the range and also carried all over for months. In the door of the truck, under the seat of the car, in the console, in and out of the house, IWB, OWB, OC, etc. For months. There were good reasons it was not running well, lol. It's clean now and smooth as butter, too. :D

The wife's S&W 9604 hasn't run well at the range the last two times, but when I took it apart last night, it was obvious it hadn't been cleaned probably in years. I know I hadn't stripped it down since I bought it, which was like... 3-4 years ago? lol. It had only been fired a couple of times.

Confession... I've NEVER cleaned the barrels of ANY of my AR-15s!

:ooh2:

I know, I know... I take 'em down and wipe the bolts and chamber, and lube 'em up... but I don't have a setup for mine to clean the barrels. I need to get one. I bought a full cleaning kit from AIM Sports at a gunshow one day, but it's a POS and the ".22" mop and brush don't fit down a .22 or .223 chamber. At least not without a MASSIVE amount of force, and I'm not going to risk getting something stuck in there. So I've just held off for now until I buy a real, solid, reputable .22/.223 cleaning kit with quality components and that actually WORKS.

Which reminds me... maybe I need to go order that? lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom