Carrying in your car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the SDA book several times and still have a question on carrying in my car. I do have a CCW and am trying to figure out if my handgun needs to concealed on me while in my car or can I have it loaded in the console? From what I can make out of the law it seems ok for it to be loaded and concealed in the car if I do have a CCW and just want to make sure.

rwillis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle
wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense
Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is
carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle,
shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the
licensee is in or near the vehicle.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean to change the subject, but if Dustin has his question answer, let me ask something related. If you DON'T have the CCW, can you carry an empty pistol under your seat and a loaded magazine in the glove box?
Failing that, can you have an empty pistol in the cab of a pickup and a loaded magazine in the tool box behind the cab? Everybody I ask gives me a different answer.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mean to change the subject, but if Dustin has his question answer, let me ask something related. If you DON'T have the CCW, can you carry an empty pistol under your seat and a loaded magazine in the glove box?
Failing that, can you have an empty pistol in the cab of a pickup and a loaded magazine in the tool box behind the cab? Everybody I ask gives me a different answer.

+1 I was wondering the same. Heard several different thing.

Also if transporting a pistol to the range for example. Heard it needs to be visible in the front seat empty (gun and mags) with ammo out of reach. Am I mistaken?

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IANAL

SDA answers the loaded mag question. I do not have the info in front of me to quote but, pistol in gun case or otherwise being legally transported mag loaded but not inserted is within the letter of the law. The same however does not apply to rifles. Rifles must not be Magazine or chamber loaded. without a CCW.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Here is what the law says:

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Hope that helps clear it up. So you can carry an unloaded pistol without a mag inserted...now that mag can be in your pocket, laying next to the gun, in the center consol, or anywhere else in the vehicle...a rifle or shotgun can be loaded up but not have one in the chamber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom