Carrying in your car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones responses. I did read the book and asked a few people just wanted to make sure I was cool if it was concealed in the car because right now I dont have a decent holster yet.

ignerntbend: No prob man. When I took my CCW course your question came up and the instructor stated that if you had a handgun in your car and didnt have a CCW that the ammo or loaded magazine had to be out of arms reach and not sitting together with the unloaded handgun, or it could be in a locked case. Now is this correct? I'm not 100% but that is just what the instructor told us.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones responses. I did read the book and asked a few people just wanted to make sure I was cool if it was concealed in the car because right now I dont have a decent holster yet.

ignerntbend: No prob man. When I took my CCW course your question came up and the instructor stated that if you had a handgun in your car and didnt have a CCW that the ammo or loaded magazine had to be out of arms reach and not sitting together with the unloaded handgun, or it could be in a locked case. Now is this correct? I'm not 100% but that is just what the instructor told us.

Not correct...the ammo just can not be loaded into the mag well or cylinder of the gun...you can have the ammo anywere you like in the vehicle or on your person. Refer to my previous post where I posted the state statute on transporting a loaded firearm. Good question though lots of people are confused by this.

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not correct...the ammo just can not be loaded into the mag well or cylinder of the gun...you can have the ammo anywere you like in the vehicle or on your person. Refer to my previous post where I posted the state statute on transporting a loaded firearm. Good question though lots of people are confused by this.

spd: That makes me feel real good about the CC class I chose since he was a retired officer. I'd post the name where I took it but I'd probably get kicked off the board.....or all my handguns stolen :popcorn:

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope that helps clear it up. So you can carry an unloaded pistol without a mag inserted...now that mag can be in your pocket, laying next to the gun, in the center consol, or anywhere else in the vehicle...a rifle or shotgun can be loaded up but not have one in the chamber.

That is not 100% true in regards to rifle transport. A rifle or shotgun can only be loaded but not chambered if it is in an exterior locked compartment/trunk unless you have an CCW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom