CCW Dilemma for Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomer23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my wife a SIG 938 and she loves it. It's a little bigger than the 238, but it's a 9mm not a .380. I agree with the others, buy her what SHE wants not what you want her to have. She'll enjoy shooting/carrying much more.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered the Bersa Thunder at all? It is small and lightweight. I would stay away from .22's for self defense purposes plus they can be very sensitive to ammunition.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a class called Firearms For Women. Women learn the basic of shooting a handgun, i.e. safety, bullet's power, grip, sights, and more then go to the range and shoot 14 diff handguns of diff sizes, calibers, and weights and a home defense shotgun. at the conclusion of the class a woman will know which handgun works for her and which ones don't. in my opinion a woman should pick their own handgun and they do this by shooting a variety of handguns.
for a woman, buying a handgun and being able to shoot it accurately without shooting several guns, is like buying a house and never looking at the inside.

Last edited:

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, take her to a gun store and let her try on as many as possible. What feels good to her is important.
Second, is she going to wear it or carry it in a purse or just in the vehicle? If she is not going to wear it, bigger guns are easier to shoot.
Third, I never hear anyone encouraging a man to shoot a .22 or .380. Quit being sexist and understand women can learn to shoot anything they want.
Fourth, 9mm is a good starting point and in a gun like a Glock 19, M&P, or XDM, they are all quite manageable and can be adjusted to fit smaller hands if necessary.
Fifth, pink grips, panels, or backstraps are available for any of these.
Sixth, most women who take my classes pick it up very quickly, have superior hand-eye coordination, and learn to shoot very well!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, take her to a gun store and let her try on as many as possible. What feels good to her is important.
Second, is she going to wear it or carry it in a purse or just in the vehicle? If she is not going to wear it, bigger guns are easier to shoot.
Third, I never hear anyone encouraging a man to shoot a .22 or .380. Quit being sexist and understand women can learn to shoot anything they want.
Fourth, 9mm is a good starting point and in a gun like a Glock 19, M&P, or XDM, they are all quite manageable and can be adjusted to fit smaller hands if necessary.
Sixth, most women who take my classes pick it up very quickly, have superior hand-eye coordination, and learn to shoot very well!

This right here!

My wife carries a commander sized springfield gi 1911 in 45acp, she also carries a ruger LCP.

And now that she has shot some more that springfield xd 9mm she didn't like when she began shooting is now good to go with her but that's my carry gun.

Her initial issue was limp wristing the firearm, she didn't like the XD9 because it had more muzzle flip than a 1911 in .45acp... she constantly limp wristed the 9 but consistently shot well with the .45

So she chose a .45 as her carry gun initially. Practice and lead down range has resulted in her now being very consistent with my XD. And she likes her little pocket gun. But she wouldn't have liked it as her first handgun.

Mouse guns are horrible for beginners the triggers are long heavy and vague. Kahr 9mm would be a good compact piece to start looking at if she want's something small.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Stay away from Taurus... You'd be better carrying that Taurus in a pillow case to beat someone with it.

S&W J-Frame FTW

This right here!

My wife carries a commander sized springfield gi 1911 in 45acp, she also carries a ruger LCP.

And now that she has shot some more that springfield xd 9mm she didn't like when she began shooting is now good to go with her but that's my carry gun.

Her initial issue was limp wristing the firearm, she didn't like the XD9 because it had more muzzle flip than a 1911 in .45acp... she constantly limp wristed the 9 but consistently shot well with the .45

So she chose a .45 as her carry gun initially. Practice and lead down range has resulted in her now being very consistent with my XD. And she likes her little pocket gun. But she wouldn't have liked it as her first handgun.

Mouse guns are horrible for beginners the triggers are long heavy and vague. Kahr 9mm would be a good compact piece to start looking at if she want's something small.

Agreed. These are good suggestions.

OKSDC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, there is only one gun to consider, the S&W 642CT (larger grip with crimson trace). Needs very little training to operate and is simple as point and shoot. The grip gives her plenty of control of the weapon unlike the LCP, it's great for purse carry because of the double action trigger, and a revolver is tried and true and hard to beat. If it doesn't go bang the first time, all she has to do is pull the trigger and the next round will. With a semi, WHEN she has a malfunction either by ammo, limp wrist, magazine issue, whatever (not IF she has one with a semi), she will have to work the malfunction clearance under stress, and possibly have to change magazines.

I love semi-autos and carry Glock or my 1911s daily, but if ccw'er is not going to put the time into practicing the handling skills needed for a semi, then I show them the revolver. EVERY female that has come to our course has left wanting the S&W 642ct after taking it to the range and comparing it to semi's, including my wife who was all set on buying a "pretty gun" she too chose the s&w for her carry weapon without my input, even though I'm still going to be stuck getting her the Kimber Ultra Sapphiere in 9mm.

Another good benefit of the revolver is that your wife can carry it in her jacket (in pocket holster of course), and if she ever felt uncomfortable walking to her car, she could have her hand in her jacket pocket, on the gun, and nobody would know. If she was to need to use it, god forbid, she could shoot it through the jacket without any malfunction issues. Can't say the same for the semi that will only fire one round before a phase 1 malfunction clearance will be needed in order to shoot another round.

With all that said, the LCP is a great gun and hard to beat with it's price point, but I still would first recommend the revolver.

I too trust my life on and off duty with a S&W j-frame as my trusty back up. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom