CCW Dilemma for Wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKSDC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This right here!

My wife carries a commander sized springfield gi 1911 in 45acp, she also carries a ruger LCP.

And now that she has shot some more that springfield xd 9mm she didn't like when she began shooting is now good to go with her but that's my carry gun.

Her initial issue was limp wristing the firearm, she didn't like the XD9 because it had more muzzle flip than a 1911 in .45acp... she constantly limp wristed the 9 but consistently shot well with the .45

So she chose a .45 as her carry gun initially. Practice and lead down range has resulted in her now being very consistent with my XD. And she likes her little pocket gun. But she wouldn't have liked it as her first handgun.

Mouse guns are horrible for beginners the triggers are long heavy and vague. Kahr 9mm would be a good compact piece to start looking at if she want's something small.

I love the Kahr PM9 and use it with the magazine finger extension as my appendix gun. That was one of the ones my wife liked the looks of but in the end passed it up for the 642CT. She is still coming around to the idea of hip carry for her ccw, but I started her out around the house with the Remora holster for her sweats and stuff when I'm not home and on duty. Shes is warming up to it. Baby steps :)

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let her pick it out! Go to a range, let her handle and shoot as many as possible. She will find one that is comfortable. Trying to get her to shoot/like guns you want her to like isn't the best idea.

OKSDC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, take her to a gun store and let her try on as many as possible. What feels good to her is important.
Second, is she going to wear it or carry it in a purse or just in the vehicle? If she is not going to wear it, bigger guns are easier to shoot.
Third, I never hear anyone encouraging a man to shoot a .22 or .380. Quit being sexist and understand women can learn to shoot anything they want.
Fourth, 9mm is a good starting point and in a gun like a Glock 19, M&P, or XDM, they are all quite manageable and can be adjusted to fit smaller hands if necessary.
Fifth, pink grips, panels, or backstraps are available for any of these.
Sixth, most women who take my classes pick it up very quickly, have superior hand-eye coordination, and learn to shoot very well!

I agree with Stephen, good points. I say that a .22 is better than nothing and I don't know anyone who says the would let someone shoot them with a .22. Of its that weak, lets give it a try :). I agree that it is an ego deal and the best carry gun is one that they are comfortable shooting because if they are not, they won't usually carry it.

Love the 9mm comments. I believe that the 9mm is the best round for just about every novice shooter and even advance shooters, especially chambered in Federal HST 124 grain +P. I have seen CLEET Firearms Instructor candidates bring .45 and .40s and ask to borrow other officers 9mm to complete a part of the course because they found that under stress and when speed and accuracy was needed, they could handle the 9 better.

I agree about the last women comment. In general, females are good shooters. In my opinion it's because they can be more patient and open to instruction then male shooters who are so competive and its harder to get them to slow down and focus on the basics then the female counter part. That's not always the case but does happen.

Just my two cents.

Phildo64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P238 is the only .380 I actually enjoy shooting. I've got at least 2k through the ladies Sig. Awesome and worth Selling 3 $900 Pmags for it;)

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom has a PPK .380. I liked it the first time I shot it. It was accurate. It was the first .380 that I had shot too. I put a pachmayer grip on it and it fills your hand. Check one out, it is kinda old school pocket pistol. It is heavier than most .380's and that can be a minus but it can also be a plus.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on the p238: wife loves it. Bottom line as others have said let her pick out the gun. I was on my wife forever about getting CCW. Then I finally bought her a gun that SHE wanted (p238 rainbow) and she couldn't wait to go shoot it, came to me at night with a list of upcoming CCW courses to fit in the schedule, and found a holster she wanted, etc... I just had to let her pick the fun out and get it in her hands and that sparked the rest of the interest.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll also put a vote in for the 238. My wife loves shooting mine so much that I doubt I will be getting it back anytime soon. Another great option is the 232. My mom carries a 232 and loves it.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, take her to a gun store and let her try on as many as possible. What feels good to her is important.
Second, is she going to wear it or carry it in a purse or just in the vehicle? If she is not going to wear it, bigger guns are easier to shoot.
Third, I never hear anyone encouraging a man to shoot a .22 or .380. Quit being sexist and understand women can learn to shoot anything they want.
Fourth, 9mm is a good starting point and in a gun like a Glock 19, M&P, or XDM, they are all quite manageable and can be adjusted to fit smaller hands if necessary.
Fifth, pink grips, panels, or backstraps are available for any of these.

Sixth, most women who take my classes pick it up very quickly, have superior hand-eye coordination, and learn to shoot very well!

Years ago I was spending a little time with a really petite girl. I don't think she was 100 pounds soaking wet. She liked shooting my Redhawk .44 magnum. I am sure she wouldn't carry it. It was too big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom