Channel 8 -- Tulsa City Council trying to ban legal gun carry in city parks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And Channel 8 does have some good reporters. I sometimes wonder about their pre-air editing process though. I have the email address of Kristin Dickerson. I've sent email back and forth to her before when they did "odd things" with gun stories. She has an agricultural and livestock background. They always send her to the state fair since she showed livestock when she was younger. She's young and attractive and always seems happy. If she was approached to do a story about a get together and everybody treated her with respect.... you just might get a really good story on the air..

Gregg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before this thread goes completely off the rails...

Yes, it's accurate that the City of Tulsa cannot ban lawful carry in parks. They would have to get the legislature to change state law, and there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening anytime soon.

What pisses me off is how the City of Tulsa goes to the news media and tells them that Tulsa's policy is to ban guns, and the news media parrots that all over the TV. Tons of people who are not as well connected or initiated as we are take that at face value and get it in their heads that carry is illegal. Great way to set up a conflict with a lawful open carrier and someone else who relied on the bad information in the news report!

Looks like OKOCA needs to make some plans. I'm sure there are some OSA people who would be willing to tuck in their shirt for a day to help us make a point, tight?

You have my support and I would attend.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of you guys doing anything up this way. I live an hour NE but it would be fun to be part of a group. Make the plans and tell us when to be where! I've got a beautiful hand carved leather holster and Ruger OM that I bought as a BBQ gun.... but it's never gotten invited to one of those famous BBQ's.

Gregg

We have something in the Tulsa area every month. Here's one happening next weekend. I hope you will join us! http://okoca.org/event/broken-arrow-open-carry-event/

and on Facebook Looks like a really good turnout is expected.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since Tulsa is a Charter City their authority can supersede state law in some instances on purely local issues, don't know if that applies here. Names. We need to know which Councilors are advocating this.

A charter city’s ordinances supersede state law only in matters of purely municipal concern. Simpson v. Dixon, 853 P.2d 176, 186 (Okla. 1993).

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Jeannie Cue(R- Council District 2) and Karen Gilbert(R- Council District 5) are up for election in June and skipped the committee meeting where this was discussed and so far seem to be keeping their position on this issue silent. Their position on this issue needs to be clearly and publicly stated before the April filing period to file for candidacy so pro 2A challengers can be recruited to run against them if they are on the wrong side of this issue. If you live in district 2 or 5 contact them and put some pressure on these Councilors to issue a press release with a public statement of their position on this issue ASAP.

Blake Ewing(R- Council District 4), though not up for election in this cycle skipped this meeting, too. We need to get his position on record, too. If you live in district 4 contact him to request he does the same. Ditto for Arianna Moore(R- Council District 7), while she attended the meeting she remained silent through the discussion, if you live in district 7, contact your Councilor and make the same request.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I was working closer to home! I live in Lincoln County and just hearing about this kind of crap starts my blood boiling. Good comments, ideas and plans already posted.

Kudos to Raoul Duke for getting the ins-and-outs of who is where and who said what on these issues. 100% correct - everyone's position needs to be clearly stated PRIOR to their filing. Like JCW355 stated - Vote them OUT. I'm thanking all you guys in advance for planning this and participating. Get the plans for a get-together in the park, bring the kids, invite the media and council members and make it known that anyone opposed will not last! Sure, they are subject to civil action per the state law and if they push it to violate someone's rights accordingly - they NEED to pay.

While calls and letters certainly are needed, we can not afford to merely sit on the sideline and watch, wish, ***** & moan and talk our ****!
Otherwise, little-by-little these freaks will eat away at our rights and the next thing you know they will be arresting our kids and grandkids for gun-shaped poptarts and toy Army men!

Latest posts

Top Bottom