Channel 8 -- Tulsa City Council trying to ban legal gun carry in city parks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I'll get to work on this this week.

Just make sure it is a city park and not a county park to obtain the desired effect.

The best way to hold this would be to do it in a manner that requires getting a special event permit that has to be approved by the city Council so they don't get to ignore the event like they want to ignore state law. They would have to put this on their agenda for approval in an open public meeting and public comments are allowed on these agenda items, so people could show up to the Council meeting and sign up to speak. So, the Councilors would have to sit there and hear directly from citizens about this, on the record, in a public forum. Plus, if they vote to deny it, I'm pretty sure it is grounds for a lawsuit and they could be held personally liable for damages. Requesting a road closure would satisfy the requirement, and it might be possible just to ask for a partial closure of a park parking lot to make this go before the Council for approval. Just be aware that the permit application must be filed within 60 days in advance of the date of the event. Make no mistake, if you choose to go this route, they will try to find any technicality as grounds to deny the application.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/our-city/special-events.aspx

On a smaller scale that wouldn't require Council approval, but would call attention to the city law by requiring the city parks department to issue a special event permit, all that is needed to require a park special event permit is to use a loud speaker, public address system, amplifier or any other device to amplify and direct sound at an event that is open to the public where 75 people or more will attend.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/culture--recreation/tulsa-parks/administration/park-rules--ordinances.aspx

My suggestion would be to choose the location from one of the special events designated parks for either scenario.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/culture--recreation/tulsa-parks/shelter-rentals,-special-events,-renting-amenities.aspx

I would recommend Veterans Park:

VETERANS, 1875 South Boulder Ave.
Over 15 acres of large Open Space (soccer field), large Shelter, splash pad, playground. Restrooms and electric available.

The reason being it has a shelter, restrooms and electricity available. Not to mention the significance of this pro 2A event being held at a park named in honor of the Veterans who defend the Constitution, from which our second amendment rights are derived. Plus, there aren't any buildings that someone might inadvertently carry into in violation of the law. The main drawback is parking isn't great, there is some available, but very large crowds seem to make it to big events here quite often with few problems.

i131.photobucket.com_albums_p315_TYProle_Screenshot2013_03_16at102932PM_zps26a181a1.png

If you wanted to go really big, I might suggest holding a 2A SDA carry march/rally from Veterans park to nearby Council Oak park(just a few blocks away) and back to Veterans Park for the rally that would require road closures along the route and therefore, Council approval. Additionally, marching to Council Oak park, where the Muscogee Creek tribe ended their forced march on the Trail of Tears would provide dramatic symbolism and call attention to what can happen when citizens are deprived of their second amendment rights.

Council Oak Park

i131.photobucket.com_albums_p315_TYProle_Screenshot2013_03_16at101827PM_zps9626cdbd.png

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just had a 2a rally at LaFortune with a stage and sound system. Got the permit had about 300 turn out. The stage and system was sponsosored. Pm me if wanting info.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just had a 2a rally at LaFortune with a stage and sound system. Got the permit had about 300 turn out. The stage and system was sponsosored. Pm me if wanting info.

LaFortune is a Tulsa County park so that would negate the desired effect of breaking the silence on this in a Council meeting.

Raoul Duke's idea above touches much in the way of symbolism to enhance the overall message, IMO. The only thing I would add is to avoid any connection to any politician of any stripe, especially any speeches, even if they agree with our position. It then begins to appear as an adjunct campaign event when the goal should be for the people to speak to the elected officials.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the email I will be sending to my city council rep

Mr. Bynum,

I recently saw the Channel 8 segment in which you communicated your anti safety, and anti 2nd amendment remarks.

As a citizen of your district, and a user of the park system I find your insistence in creating a less secure environment for myself and other citizens troublesome. Gun free zones only provide assurances of safety and security to criminals by allowing them to know they will be able to conduct whatever acts of evil they wish without the threat of encountering a victim who is properly armed to defend themselves.

Citizens who have a conceal carry permit have gone through two levels of scrutiny before being granted the right to carry a weapon in a public place. First a federal background check, and secondly an additional background check by OSBI. They also must participate in an educational safety training session to receive their permit. It appears though that you only support criminals who could potentially inflict assault, robbery, rape and murder to have any sort of advantages in confrontations.

I want you to know that you have turned me into a single issue voter, and should you decide to run for city council again or any other elected office I will not only not be voting for you again, I will be donating my time and money to your competitor.

Sincerely,

I like it. You might mention your like-minded 2A-supporting friends who will join you in this fight to defeat his good-for-nothing RINO butt.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure it is a city park and not a county park to obtain the desired effect.

The best way to hold this would be to do it in a manner that requires getting a special event permit that has to be approved by the city Council so they don't get to ignore the event like they want to ignore state law. They would have to put this on their agenda for approval in an open public meeting and public comments are allowed on these agenda items, so people could show up to the Council meeting and sign up to speak. So, the Councilors would have to sit there and hear directly from citizens about this, on the record, in a public forum. Plus, if they vote to deny it, I'm pretty sure it is grounds for a lawsuit and they could be held personally liable for damages. Requesting a road closure would satisfy the requirement, and it might be possible just to ask for a partial closure of a park parking lot to make this go before the Council for approval. Just be aware that the permit application must be filed within 60 days in advance of the date of the event. Make no mistake, if you choose to go this route, they will try to find any technicality as grounds to deny the application.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/our-city/special-events.aspx

On a smaller scale that wouldn't require Council approval, but would call attention to the city law by requiring the city parks department to issue a special event permit, all that is needed to require a park special event permit is to use a loud speaker, public address system, amplifier or any other device to amplify and direct sound at an event that is open to the public where 75 people or more will attend.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/culture--recreation/tulsa-parks/administration/park-rules--ordinances.aspx

My suggestion would be to choose the location from one of the special events designated parks for either scenario.

https://www.cityoftulsa.org/culture--recreation/tulsa-parks/shelter-rentals,-special-events,-renting-amenities.aspx

I would recommend Veterans Park:

VETERANS, 1875 South Boulder Ave.
Over 15 acres of large Open Space (soccer field), large Shelter, splash pad, playground. Restrooms and electric available.

The reason being it has a shelter, restrooms and electricity available. Not to mention the significance of this pro 2A event being held at a park named in honor of the Veterans who defend the Constitution, from which our second amendment rights are derived. Plus, there aren't any buildings that someone might inadvertently carry into in violation of the law. The main drawback is parking isn't great, there is some available, but very large crowds seem to make it to big events here quite often with few problems.

i131.photobucket.com_albums_p315_TYProle_Screenshot2013_03_16at102932PM_zps26a181a1.png

If you wanted to go really big, I might suggest holding a 2A SDA carry march/rally from Veterans park to nearby Council Oak park(just a few blocks away) and back to Veterans Park for the rally that would require road closures along the route and therefore, Council approval. Additionally, marching to Council Oak park, where the Muscogee Creek tribe ended their forced march on the Trail of Tears would provide dramatic symbolism and call attention to what can happen when citizens are deprived of their second amendment rights.

Council Oak Park

i131.photobucket.com_albums_p315_TYProle_Screenshot2013_03_16at101827PM_zps9626cdbd.png

Thanks for the information, ideas and the visual aids!!! I'm copying this information to our board member in Tulsa.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trading emails with Bynum, and he clarified his position.

In his last email to me he stated the following.

I do believe people with a concealed carry permit should be able to carry them in parks. If we needed any better example of why, the man who heroically shot a pit bull in North Tulsa after it mauled two innocent women earlier this week provided a great one. My comments were more about the inconsistency in logic by politicians than about whether or not someone should be able to carry a gun in a park. If I wasn't more clear, I apologize.

I'm back to being a fan of his.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just watched the Council committee meeting where this was discussed today, state law does supersede city law on this matter according to the city legal department. The following Councilors (Patrick, Lakin, Henderson, Bynum and Steele) seemed opposed to complying with state law and seemed resigned to just leave this illegal law on the books. They vowed to lobby state legislators to try to have the law changed.

Anybody live in Tulsa and wanna file a lawsuit to compel them repeal this law and comply with state law?

Lakin is up for re-election in June. Filing dates for this non-partisan(no primary) election are April 8,9, and 10. Any OSA'rs live in Tulsa City Council District 8? If so, ever consider running for city Council?

Here is the agenda item discussed and a link to the agenda and back-up materials for this item(#3 on the agenda):

Committee Meeting, Urban & Economic Development
3/14/2013
2:30 PM
175 E. 2nd St., Tulsa, OK 74103
Room 411, One Technology Center

Ordinance amending Title 26, Tulsa Revised Ordinances, Titled “Parks, Mall and Plaza,” amending Chapter 1, Section 103, Sub-Section Q and Chapter 3, Setion 303, Sub-Section Q; allowing licensed handguns in parks and recreation areas under certain conditions. [UED 3/14/13] 13-188-1

http://www.tulsacouncil.org/inc/search/meeting_detail.php?id=H1BUURL1217201233106

You can watch this meeting online here if you have silverlight installed, just click on the On Demand window, then, when it takes you to the archived video screen, scroll down and click on the Urban and Economic Development Committee meeting, March 14th 2013 link. When the video player window pops up you can scroll down on the agenda item menu on the left side of the window to the agenda item click on that and the video will start playing from the reading of that agenda item:

http://www.tgovonline.org/

This is a direct link to the video:

[video]http://tulsa-ok.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1213[/video]

They'll likely find a judge who agrees with the city attorneys. Most judges have no respect for the law nowadays, and the law is old and broad enough that a precedent can be dug up to support any position. Judges serve the elites whom they perceive to have power. The only way to keep them in check is to make sure they aren't retained when they run for retention every four years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom