Check your lug nuts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scary situation. At least they were close to OKC where family could go help and not a long way off. Glad that they’re ok, though the vehicle looks like it might be a total loss.

Now, a funny story: I use to work for a Japanese company. We sold torque tools and had created a lug nut rundown tool for pre-torque installation in order to seat 4-8 lug nuts in a single shot, thus holding the wheel on the hub and then allowing the worker at the new vehicle factory to tighten the nuts properly to torque. Anyway, we were in Nissan with our Japanese in-house engineer and theirs, he starts talking about the Rug Nut Runner. The Nissan engineer understood completely, but we were laughing so hard over beers later. So, ever time I hear lug nut now, I say Rug Nut. What, is that like for tightening floor mats?!? 😂

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandson and his girlfriend were on their way back to the city from OBU, and a wheel came off a vehicle in front of them and crashed into her car. This is near the Choctaw RD exit on I-40. All are safe, but very shook up. No details yet on the source of the wheel.View attachment 508696
It appears the the tire came from probably a trailer that was coming towards them. Not likely a car or pickup, they would probably dragged the pavement and stopped. whether it was lug nut or a bearing coming apart could be told if the hub was still with the wheel. I hope OHP can find who's it is.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the culprit…
IMG_0066.jpeg

scramp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had new tires installed on my wife's SUV. A week later I noticed a lug nut missing on the front right tire. I then noticed it was the tamper proof lug nut. The right rear TP nut was almost off. The drivers side was loose but not close coming off.

Called the tire shop and they said bring it in. They told me they impact gun all the conventional lug nuts, but not the TP ones and they can shear them off. I guess he never went back and torqued them. I'm sure impact guns are the standard installation all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom