Cherokee hunting, fishing rights compact negotiations expected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a world that everyone wants to be equal these days, this sure contradicts that mantra.

I don't/Won't ever agree with the decision that was made. Let them hunt on their own lands for free. But don't let somebody that is supposed to be "equal" to me stand next to me and fish/hunt free of charge. Call me what you want, it's bogus.

If that $300k is being used to buy that many fish/hunting licenses along with a component wry deer tag and turkey tag, then the state is loosing out in the end. Period. No matter if P-R money is being added in or not.

Do the math Dennis. Your own given equation blows everything you are trying to say out of the water. Ten percent of 150,000 is 15,000. Multiply that by $25 for only a hunting or fishing license and you get $375,000. So please, tell me how the state is making out good here? Factor in a deer tag for each of the licenses and that number shoots up to $675,000 for the 15,000 tags you assumed might be bought. Do the math on that ten percent with combo tags and all the sudden it becomes clear that the sportsman are not benefiting from this hardly at all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a world that everyone wants to be equal these days, this sure contradicts that mantra.

I don't/Won't ever agree with the decision that was made. Let them hunt on their own lands for free. But don't let somebody that is supposed to be "equal" to me stand next to me and fish/hunt free of charge. Call me what you want, it's bogus.

If that $300k is being used to buy that many fish/hunting licenses along with a component wry deer tag and turkey tag, then the state is loosing out in the end. Period. No matter if P-R money is being added in or not.

Do the math Dennis. Your own given equation blows everything you are trying to say out of the water. Ten percent of 150,000 is 15,000. Multiply that by $25 for only a hunting or fishing license and you get $375,000. So please, tell me how the state is making out good here? Factor in a deer tag for each of the licenses and that number shoots up to $675,000 for the 15,000 tags you assumed might be bought. Do the math on that ten percent with combo tags and all the sudden it becomes clear that the sportsman are not benefiting from this hardly at all.

I'm not totally understanding your post.
For the record I have two post on here that say I don't like it either.

Putting out information to spark discussion does not necessarily mean one is in favor or not in favor of the topic. Its amazing how many people that hunt and fish have no clue about the PR act for example and how it benefits the states depending on the number of license sales.

I don't understand your reasoning in the bolded part of your reply. How did my statement of simple math get blown out of the water? You might want to go back and read what I said and redo your math. The state isn't making a dime from this. It all goes to the ODW for conservation purposes. The ODW operates from license sales, Investment returns from lifetime licenses, and funds from the PR act. They don't get state appropriations.

My main question, in my mind is the $2 minimum license fee that was adopted as the "minimum" legal fee. Where did this come from? Is it an antique law still on the books? Does someone that knows how to read through the fine print need to look at this and find out how it is legal? Does it need to be updated, so the minimum license fee is what is currently published and sold to the general public?
That would certainly have stopped the $2 deal IMHO.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You also have to weigh the benefit against the cost of litigation. Argument at the appellate level isn't cheap, to say nothing of going to SCOTUS. The state could have very easily spent millions in legal fees and still lost.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis. For clarity, I was an employee of the ODWC for ten years. I am fully aware of P-R funds and by "the state" I meant very specifically the wildlife department. I know exactly how funds are acquired and when they come from concerning the wildlife department. So please do t be mistaken by thinking I am blind to that.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Y'all are really gonna sheet yer breeches when Obama issues his executive order requiring that, for purposes of hunting and fishing on USACE lands open to public hunting and fishing, tribal citizenship cards will be recognized as valid hunting and fishing licenses if the USACE land is located within the treaty territory boundaries of the tribe in which the citizen is a member.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raoul, I have zero problem with tribe members hunting on tribal land or in treaty areas within whatever construct they have set up, as long as the tribe kicks in for wildlife management expenses on those areas.

My entire beef is with this state wide compact.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So let's muddy the waters some more. What's the difference in this and Indian car tags? Except the state doesn't get any of that money. Or do they? IDK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom