Cherokee hunting, fishing rights compact negotiations expected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. The point is that the state doesn't know if the block of licenses sold to the tribe will be able to be used in the calculation of that P-R money since it doesn't automatically equal "licensed hunters"...that all still has to be worked out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. The point is that the state doesn't know if the block of licenses sold to the tribe will be able to be used in the calculation of that P-R money since it doesn't automatically equal "licensed hunters"...that all still has to be worked out.

From what Jared posted, "Cost will be $2 (minimum required by law) for a hunting/fishing license. They are supposed to be getting 1 deer and 1 turkey tag as well. Will begin on Jan 1, 2016."

Its a legal hunting license as defined by law according to him.

I haven't seen that law, but Jared seems to be aware of it.

Probably the cost of the first hunting license that has never been amended or written off the books?

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
The only one getting screwed will be the sportsmen footing the bill for the reduced rate special snowflake permits.)

Hardly.

Are the youth, senior, and disabled veteran reduced rates special snowflake permits, too?

Don't be such a hater.

Besides, the truth is the state got the best deal they could have possibly achieved in this compact.

The state had no choice but to negotiate this because if they would have litigated, they would have gotten nothing.

Especially if our current incompetent AG is the one doing the litigating.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am Creek Indian and had a long statement about the group license purchase. In the end, I think it is great, but should of cost the tribe more than $2 each. If I buy in bulk I should get a discount, but not that much. The Cherokee Tribe and the state work together and bring money into the state. I am sure this is just a perk for everything the tribe does, in the state.
I know some people are going to be jealous, because someone is getting something for free and they are not. But, the tribal member is not really getting it for free, they are just going to receive less money in some other programs.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt on Indian Trust Land in SW Oklahoma - it is owned by individual families and not really tribal land, but is off the tax rolls. Enforcement is handled by the BIA police, but I think they have a working relationship with game rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

Cedar Creek

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hardly.

Are the youth, senior, and disabled veteran reduced rates special snowflake permits, too?

Don't be such a hater.

Besides, the truth is the state got the best deal they could have possibly achieved in this compact.

The state had no choice but to negotiate this because if they would have litigated, they would have gotten nothing.

Especially if our current incompetent AG is the one doing the litigating.

B.S.

Apples and Oranges comparing youth, senior, and disabled veteran's licenses. They are still sold by the state to the individual...and in the case of the veteran's licenses, the person getting the discount performed some service in exchange for the reduced rate. This is granting statewide hunting rights at reduced rates, for life, just for being born into the tribe, in massive numbers.

This is NOT the best deal the state could have achieved. They could have said no. The only legal leg the nation has to stand on is the 14 original counties. I would be completely for that. I can't fathom why this got extended to include the entire state. One of the comments from a tribal leader was something to the effect of "Now, if a tribe member who lives in OKC wants to go hunting, he doesn't have to drive all the way to the tribal area to do so". WTF is that? Like I said again, what prevented them from buying permits at walmart like the rest of us?

Funny that so many here espouse conservative, fiscally responsible ideals and then turn around and support bad business like this. I'm not hating on the tribal members. This will be a good deal for them, but in a time of tight budgets it doesn't seem to make very much business sense to increase hunting pressure at a reduced rate. Wildlife and land require management. That management must be paid for. If someone in a business meeting suggested, "Hey, let's sell a bunch of $50 dollar gift cards for $2. We'll make money because a lot of folks won't actually use them. It'll be a windfall." they would be laughed at and promptly fired. This is exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am Creek Indian and had a long statement about the group license purchase. In the end, I think it is great, but should of cost the tribe more than $2 each.

Why?

They are paying twice per tribal member what they would have been legally required to pay if this had been litigated and they are paying for every tribal member whether they actually hunt and fish or not.

If I were negotiating this compact on behalf of the Cherokees, I wouldn't have agreed to any compact that didn't include statewide trapping, nwco authority, and a number formula not based on total tribal enrollment, but based on the population percentage of resident tags, hunting and fishing licenses in Oklahoma based on the most recent available data at a lower corresponding population percentage rate of total tribal members. Just for example, in 2011(the most recent data from the NSSF I found on a quick search) there were 243,821 hunting licenses total and 134,447 deer licenses while the overall state population stood at 3,714,520 which is the equivalent of approximately 6.5% and 3.5% of the overall population respectively. Under this example, by my reckoning, the Cherokees paid for 93.5 percent and 96.5 percent more tribal members respectively than they should have for hunting licenses and deer tags.

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/HuntingInAmerica_EconomicForceForConservation.pdf

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk

Just for starters

Fact is, this is the best deal the state could have possibly hoped for or received.

Frankly, the critics of this deal really who are claiming the state and Oklahoma sportsmen got screwed in this compact really should be grateful the Cherokees gave so much away and were willing to concede so much.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is granting statewide hunting rights at reduced rates, for life, just for being born into the tribe, in massive numbers.

Come again?

Through the compact, which will take effect Jan. 1 and run through 2018, the tribe will issue a Cherokee Nation hunting and fishing license - as well as one deer tag and one turkey tag - free of charge to every Cherokee citizen over the age of 16.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/governor-cherokee-chief-sign-compact-for-hunting-fishing-licenses/article_595c934d-76bb-5f87-bdf8-9146bf36c2b6.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom