Cherokee hunting, fishing rights compact negotiations expected

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So let's muddy the waters some more. What's the difference in this and Indian car tags? Except the state doesn't get any of that money. Or do they? IDK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sovereign nation and all that is my guess...we honor tribal tags just like we honor out of state tags. For the most part, IIRC, those tags are issued and sold by the tribe (although I don't think they should be made available to members not living inside tribal areas).

We don't honor Kansas hunting licenses so why would we honor tribal ones? (if these were tribal licenses, but they aren't. They are state licenses sold at deep discount to the tribe)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only one to be mad at is the state and the ODWC for making the deal. I fault the nations and their members none. They got a hell of a deal. I'm not going to hate on them and call it snowflake welfare or whatever just because they got a good deal and I didn't. Yay for them, they stuck one to the man.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only one to be mad at is the state and the ODWC for making the deal. I fault the nations and their members none. They got a hell of a deal. I'm not going to hate on them and call it snowflake welfare or whatever just because they got a good deal and I didn't. Yay for them, they stuck one to the man.

yeah, there's that I guess. I'll just refer to this compact the next time I hear the state or ODWC complain about lack of funding...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis. For clarity, I was an employee of the ODWC for ten years. I am fully aware of P-R funds and by "the state" I meant very specifically the wildlife department. I know exactly how funds are acquired and when they come from concerning the wildlife department. So please do t be mistaken by thinking I am blind to that.

Wasn't pointed at you. Again just some general info to throw into the discussion. We had a discussion on here a couple of years ago where folks wanted to argue the ODW got state money, and had no clue about how lifetime license funds are handled.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tribal tags can only be issued to indians residing in their tribal area. My question would be which treaty do you go by? Originally OKC was part of my tribal area, if my tribe issued a hunting license, should I be able to hunt in OKC?
By the way, I do not completely disagree that the license should be restricted to the tribal area.
Sovereign nation and all that is my guess...we honor tribal tags just like we honor out of state tags. For the most part, IIRC, those tags are issued and sold by the tribe (although I don't think they should be made available to members not living inside tribal areas).

We don't honor Kansas hunting licenses so why would we honor tribal ones? (if these were tribal licenses, but they aren't. They are state licenses sold at deep discount to the tribe)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I get the sovereign nation bit and I have 2 indian tags myself. I'll admit I haven't read the background material, but I don't understand why the state is willing to negotiate such a seemingly crappy deal. Like it's always been, they can fish and hunt on their own tribal lands with not a thing, but I can't fathom how the state rolled over for non-tribal lands, it just doesn't make sense. Unless there was the threat of litigation making it EXACTLY like those car tags. That I can see, but I still don't like it and think they could have done better and still made it a good deal to the tribal members.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tribal tags can only be issued to indians residing in their tribal area. My question would be which treaty do you go by? Originally OKC was part of my tribal area, if my tribe issued a hunting license, should I be able to hunt in OKC?
By the way, I do not completely disagree that the license should be restricted to the tribal area.

Not anymore. The Choctaw Nation can now issue them to any member of the tribe regardless of where they live.

Seems the Choctaw Nation has great negotiators, or dirt on Fallin LOL.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
It appears the Choctaws and Chickasaws are jumping on the Cherokee bandwagon of eroding hunting and fishing sovereignty through compacts:

The Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations in Oklahoma are now negotiating with Gov. Mary Fallin for a tribal-state compact concerning hunting and fishing rights.

Alex Weintz, communications director for Fallin, confirmed negotiations are ongoing.

“Our office is in discussions with those tribes about potential agreements regarding hunting and fishing licenses, but no agreement has been reached yet,” Weintz stated in an e-mail to The Oklahoman.

http://newsok.com/article/5448060

If they can collect 1,000 signatures, a group of Cherokee Nation citizens could delay a hunting and fishing compact recently signed with the state of Oklahoma.

Claiming their sovereignty has been sold out, the group is circulating a petition asking for a full up-or-down vote on the compact.

To be approved, the petitioners need to gather verified signatures of Cherokee voters equal to 5 percent of those who voted in the last election, which was just under 20,000. Clinton said the law allows for a vote to be held on the next regularly scheduled election, which is June 2017, or by special election scheduled by the chief and the tribal council.

In the meantime, the compact would be put on hold.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/petitioners-seek-to-stop-cherokee-hunting-fishing-compact-with-oklahoma/article_829f94f9-83b7-5b70-b3cd-e80c00c2ddaa.html

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah

Latest posts

Top Bottom