City of Lawton Elk Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I do. There has only been one cow shot in the 10+ years of the hunt. My buddy drew it out and I went with him. I sat up on Mount Scott for two days with a spotting scope, and glassed that area for 20 hours at least. Not one elk. He come from NM and knows elk sign.
Here is a tip that we didn't know. The regs say you have to enter a gate off the refuge. There was lots of hog sign. No elk. After it was over, we found out the only chance one has to take an elk, is to take a boat from the local lake and go up into a neck that nobody else has access to.
I sat there on the refuge and saw a great bull just outside of the gate. There is a hi fence all around the area, untill you get to the area I'm talking about. From what I've been told by locals, there is just a barbed wire fence and the elk can come and go. Good luck. Don't tell anybody I told you this insider info!:D

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that you have hit the damn jackpot.
You'll see trophy elk lounging in the hay fields around Lawton.
I'd rather go to Colorado (seriously), but I envy you greatly.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what good is it when only one elk harvested in 10 years?
looks like odds are highly against anyone successfully shooting one.

Yes I do. There has only been one cow shot in the 10+ years of the hunt. My buddy drew it out and I went with him. I sat up on Mount Scott for two days with a spotting scope, and glassed that area for 20 hours at least. Not one elk. He come from NM and knows elk sign.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what good is it when only one elk harvested in 10 years?
looks like odds are highly against anyone successfully shooting one.

Dennis said "only one cow" not only one elk. If I had to fill my freezer with meat as a consolation prize, I think I would be able to accept that.:goodmorning: It wouldn't be easy, but I'd learn to live with it. I might need therapy and lots of it.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was looking at the dept of wildlife website and it says that a person can only be drawn for an elk hunt once in a lifetime if drawn after 2002. what is the point of that?

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i was looking at the dept of wildlife website and it says that a person can only be drawn for an elk hunt once in a lifetime if drawn after 2002. what is the point of that?

The city of lawton hunt is seperate from that hunt. If you are drawn for the city hunt, you cannot reapply for 3 years. The Wildlife department hunt is limited to once in a lifetime due to the low number of people drawn verses the number of applicants. It's supposed to give more people a chance to get drawn. The only bad thing is that I got lucky and was drawn when I was 31 for a cow tag. So now I'm done. :crying:

Latest posts

Top Bottom