Classifieds are slow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you access them now? Have you tried the classifieds tab at the top? It shows every category on one page.
Well what do you know you can see state wide. Didnt think that was clickable. I have a weird browser I have been trying out and somethings arent as noticeable as far as if they are clickable.

Still like to see some condensing. Either way Ill be on this site no matter what. I enjoy it.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to check everyday, multiple times a day. Now, it's not user friendly for me. There are too many categories and too many clicks now. It seems to spread out to me.

This! I didn't look at guns much but liked looking at the misc stuff. Now there are so many categories that I don't even mess with looking anymore.

Try clicking the Classifieds tab at the top and let me know if that is better.

Well what do you know you can see state wide. Didnt think that was clickable. I have a weird browser I have been trying out and somethings arent as noticeable as far as if they are clickable.

Still like to see some condensing. Either way Ill be on this site no matter what. I enjoy it.

I can agree with that, I'll see what I can do about condensing it.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some good points. But in OSA's case it has more to do with it no longer being a locally owned/run forum (yeah, they let a few inmates stick around as "mods" but it's not the same thing).

It's been acquired by out of state interests and turned into a data farm...I'm sure pay-to-play content will follow soon.

A data farm? Because we have some ads we are a data farm now? If we're a data farm then every site on the internet is a data farm.

I'm sorry, but some of you guys crack me up with how you try to spin everything. I guess technically I am an "out of state interest that acquired the site," but that sounds like a faceless corporation that came to steal your children. I'm just a guy that started a couple forums and had some success so I decided to try buying one and seeing how it goes. I started a gun forum from scratch in Georgia that now has almost 50,000 members, almost entirely located in the state. I did not acquire that forum, I started it from scratch. And it is still completely free to use and always will be, I have never charged a person or a dealer to use it. I offer some completely unnecessary extras to folks who like the site and want to support it, and I'll probably offer the same here eventually, but it is by no means required.

I also own a forum based around a car called the Elio, which I started from scratch and did not acquire to become a data farm. It now has about 3,500 members and the car doesn't have a release date.

When I bought this forum I also picked up one in Alabama to try out, it only has 500 or so members and I haven't done anything to it yet.

My web host has a boat forum he started from scratch. After we had become friends he asked if I wanted to help with his forum, so I am a part owner of that one but it's pretty dead, I never got into like I wanted to.

So, that's all the forums I own. I'm not a big company gobbling up local forums, I'm just a guy who found something he liked doing and he's doing it.

My goal is to give Oklahoma a good local gun forum. I have no interest in turning it national. I have no interest in charhing anyone to ever use the site. I have no interest in gathering and/or selling your data to anyone. I will always be honest about the site and my intentions, I have nothing to hide. Sure, I might make a couple bucks eventually but why is that so bad? Do you get paid for your work? I'm not getting rich off this stuff, I live in a pretty cheap house for the area and I have a 12 year old truck, but I manage my money and life pretty well I think.

I have a question for you, would you rather have a neglected local forum run by a local guy who's busy with other things, or a forum that's paid attention to and kept up to date but the owner lives in Georgia?

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having a choice would be cool. Might be interesting to see which method got the most use after a while.
I think the issue is that system was designed for a larger forum so I may need to just start from scratch here and make our own.

Honestly the timing of everything hasn't been the best so I haven't been able to put the effort into this place that I wanted to yet. The big project I had going is now almost over and I can focus more on this place starting this week.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A data farm? Because we have some ads we are a data farm now? If we're a data farm then every site on the internet is a data farm.

I'm sorry, but some of you guys crack me up with how you try to spin everything. I guess technically I am an "out of state interest that acquired the site," but that sounds like a faceless corporation that came to steal your children. I'm just a guy that started a couple forums and had some success so I decided to try buying one and seeing how it goes. I started a gun forum from scratch in Georgia that now has almost 50,000 members, almost entirely located in the state. I did not acquire that forum, I started it from scratch. And it is still completely free to use and always will be, I have never charged a person or a dealer to use it. I offer some completely unnecessary extras to folks who like the site and want to support it, and I'll probably offer the same here eventually, but it is by no means required.

I also own a forum based around a car called the Elio, which I started from scratch and did not acquire to become a data farm. It now has about 3,500 members and the car doesn't have a release date.

When I bought this forum I also picked up one in Alabama to try out, it only has 500 or so members and I haven't done anything to it yet.

My web host has a boat forum he started from scratch. After we had become friends he asked if I wanted to help with his forum, so I am a part owner of that one but it's pretty dead, I never got into like I wanted to.

So, that's all the forums I own. I'm not a big company gobbling up local forums, I'm just a guy who found something he liked doing and he's doing it.

My goal is to give Oklahoma a good local gun forum. I have no interest in turning it national. I have no interest in charhing anyone to ever use the site. I have no interest in gathering and/or selling your data to anyone. I will always be honest about the site and my intentions, I have nothing to hide. Sure, I might make a couple bucks eventually but why is that so bad? Do you get paid for your work? I'm not getting rich off this stuff, I live in a pretty cheap house for the area and I have a 12 year old truck, but I manage my money and life pretty well I think.

I have a question for you, would you rather have a neglected local forum run by a local guy who's busy with other things, or a forum that's paid attention to and kept up to date but the owner lives in Georgia?

All interesting points. I don't begrudge anyone making money, but the site has lost some of its local flavor for some reason. That's what I'm speaking to. It was far from neglected before, but it sure seems traffic is down now. Maybe that's just perception.

So, you bought this site yourself, you don't run it for Vertical Scope?

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
All interesting points. I don't begrudge anyone making money, but the site has lost some of its local flavor for some reason. That's what I'm speaking to. It was far from neglected before, but it sure seems traffic is down now. Maybe that's just perception.

So, you bought this site yourself, you don't run it for Vertical Scope?

If it is anything like my other forum it's completely normal. It gets nice outside and people vanish, usually bottoming out in August/September and peaking in January.

I'm gonna be working on improving things and trying to get a unique feel back to the place. I'd love to have yours and everyone else's help but a couple folks are going to have to lose this attitude of contempt towards me when I'm just trying to help. To read some of the **** written about me you'd think I was secretly Michael Bloomberg or something.

Yes, I own okshooters.com free and clear and I work for no one. Vertical Scope is just an advertising company that I use who is friendly towards gun sites (there are not many of those around.) They do own some sites but they do not own anything I am affiliated with.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this new site. Steve, you seem like a good guy and all. I was going to start a thread yesterday to ask where some of our folks went...like Badge Bunny. Seems like we had some real good people that spent a lot of time here....and I'm wondering why they don't post anymore. Or is this just all in my mind?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the weather. This place used to hop all year long, with slight lulls, but not like this. I don't think it's making a come back this time. I don't wanna say you have a lemon on your hands, but this is probably as good as it gets for at least a few years.

I like this new site. Steve, you seem like a good guy and all. I was going to start a thread yesterday to ask where some of our folks went...like Badge Bunny. Seems like we had some real good people that spent a lot of time here....and I'm wondering why they don't post anymore. Or is this just all in my mind?

bartertownok. I haven't posted there in 6 or 8 months or so, but some like it fine I suppose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom