Coated lead bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here run the coated bullets through stock Glock barrels?

That's my biggest question before running a bunch of them. I hate having to keep track of "this ammo for this gun, that ammo for that gun..."

Yes I run them exclusively. Around 2,000 so far this year and zero issues with leading.

I really like HS bullets. Their coating is really solid and they have free shipping. It's run by a guy who has a disabled kid that he stays home to take care of from what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check through their Facebook pages and other forums, you can get 5% - 10% discount codes for some of them often. I think Acme runs theirs all the time for Enos members. It'll basically cover the shipping or more if you buy a bunch.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
An alternative to this is to powder coat your own cast bullets. Those that I talked to that have done it are quite pleased. As long as the bullet is clean and not lubed (and you won't have to lube them afterwards), the powder coating sticks to the lead even after impact without flaking or pealing.

As I understand it, the process is simple. Take a closable container, such as a margarine tub, put in some powder coating and a few bullets. Shake gently for a couple minutes to coat then place the bullets on an old cookie sheet small enough to fit into a toaster oven (DO NOT use Mamma's oven!). Bake for the proper time and remove.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the benefits of lead, plated, and coated bullets that I found interesting was the safety factor when shooting on steel plates. It's amazing how much jacket material from a traditional jacketed bullet actually comes back towards the shooter when shooting at a steel backstop.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another forum I am on there are guys that powder coat and have gas checked after and it works great and they have installed gas check and then powder coated and it also worked great.

I think that was even with cast bullets in .223 and running them past 2000 fps with no issues.

The gas check is used to keep the bullet turning with the grooves in the bore.
You push one too fast with too much pressure it will skid through the bore without turning and this will lead the barrel.

Some think the gas check is to keep the bullet from melting.. that is not the case at all.
I am wondering how fast I can send a bullet before it skids when it is powder coated.

When my 45acp pushes one too fast it tumbles out of the bore and smacks the target sideways.
I cast a few pounds of 45 and 357 bullets yesterday for powder coating.
I will soon find my answer.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
On another forum I am on there are guys that powder coat and have gas checked after and it works great and they have installed gas check and then powder coated and it also worked great.

I think that was even with cast bullets in .223 and running them past 2000 fps with no issues.

The gas check is used to keep the bullet turning with the grooves in the bore.
You push one too fast with too much pressure it will skid through the bore without turning and this will lead the barrel.

Some think the gas check is to keep the bullet from melting.. that is not the case at all.
I am wondering how fast I can send a bullet before it skids when it is powder coated.

When my 45acp pushes one too fast it tumbles out of the bore and smacks the target sideways.
I cast a few pounds of 45 and 357 bullets yesterday for powder coating.
I will soon find my answer.

And the softer the bullet the lower the velocity it takes for this to happen.

I cast some nearly pure lead .38 SWC bullets, and at just 650-700fps they leaded the barrel horribly. Looked like a smoothbore afterwards.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep you must find the happy spot on lead hardness.
If I cast clamp on wheel weight lead I can send my 30 cal bullets to 2000 fps with no lead but gas checked of course.
If i cast the same alloy for my 45 acp it leads bad.
I have to soften it up to 2/3 soft and 1/3 wheel weight. for no leading.
All soft and I get leading.

My 357 mag gets wheel weight and gas checked. for 38 loads in my 357 I can do a 50/50 mix and keep it 1100 fps or under with no leading.

My 357 was smoothbore like you state after i got it from my dead fathers stash.
he never cleaned it.
I used 50/50 Peroxide and vinegar to remove it as copper chore boy would not get it out.
http://www.westernshooter.com/2011/12/fast-method-for-removing-lead-in-pistol-barrels.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom