Coleman camping gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen some houses in Kay County that have those gas lamp sconces.
Yours was propane.
Back in the day when the pipe line companies wanted to get an easement across a property, they offered the landowner a tap in the line and a regulator to supply gas to the home vs a cash payment.
They didn't understand carbon monoxide at that time evidently and the houses weren't as tight back then, actually pretty drafty which probably saved the occupants.
A co-worker moved into one in the 80's having some health issues later that were attributed to exposure of low doses of Carbon monoxide.
RV's have CO detectors now by law as everything is propane powered in the kitchens as you well know but others don't.
I remember back in the early 80’s checking out my grandmothers attic. Gas lines to all the rooms for lighting. House built in 1903. Also upgraded to electric at some time. Wiring was on glass insulators. Surprised some of this old houses are still here.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
85672971-66DE-4DB4-8B18-CF0727E741D6.jpeg
A5F0BA3D-4067-40FE-AB77-642EFB641F83.jpeg

Here’s a few of mine. I’m looking for a couple of ones that are chrome and made in the twenties.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can the leather rebuild kits still be bought?
Yes, you can buy just the leather cup, or the whole pump assembly on eBay. Sometimes you can find them at bass pro. If the leather gets dry, pull the pump out, put a little motor oil on your finger and work it into the leather. If your cup is not falling apart, usually this will fix them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy just the leather cup, or the whole pump assembly on eBay. Sometimes you can find them at bass pro. If the leather gets dry, pull the pump out, put a little motor oil on your finger and work it into the leather. If your cup is not falling apart, usually this will fix them.
The motor oil off the dipstick in the vehicle is what we used many times when out for the night and the pump didn't work as well as expected.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the colman propane kit that Sam's sold back in the 90's

It included a 5# tank, verticle tube that attached to any bulk propane tank with a pol and gave three ports to hook to (one being at the top as a good place for the lantern), a extension hose, a two mantle lantern, and a two burner stove.

Got a single mantle mini propane lantern way back too,

Got a few of those dual fuel lanterns also.

And a while back, a buddy called me and told me the family was at his neighbors having a estate fire sale of their departed family members stuff. I picked up one of those nickel plated bottom lanterns for a few bucks. Think it is from 53.

Cant remember if I tried to fire the nickle job (doubtful, because of the price of white gas, and I am cheap), but I hung it up and it been there probably 15 years.

Sad as I think coleman been chinafied, and doubtful they make anything here in the States anymore ☹️

Latest posts

Top Bottom