Colin Kaepernick Named Face of Nike's 30th Anniversary of 'Just Do It' Campaign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colorado store clears out Nike merchandise over Kaepernick ad
Store posts sign saying 'All Nike 1/2 Price'
view

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Colin Kaepernick sparked a nationwide debate when he took a knee during the national anthem ahead of NFL games in protest of police brutality, and now a store in a Colorado Springs mall is making a stand against Nike after the company picked Kaepernick as the face of its newest ad campaign.

KRDO-TV reported that Prime Time Sports in the Chapel Hills Mall has a large sign festooned on the window saying "All Nike 1/2 Price" and "Still Choosing to Stand, Just Doing It."

Prime Time Sports has been owned byStephen Martin for 21 years, and he realizes he could go out of business because a large part of his inventory is the collection of NFL jerseys he offers -- those official jerseys will be exclusive to Nike.

Kaepernick has been out of the NFL for a few years and is currently pursuing a collusion case against the league for allegedly conspiring to keep him from the sport after his on-field protest spread to other players and teams.

Nike published an ad this week with Kaepernick's face and the words "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything."

Martin sent a strongly worded letter to Nike in response to the company's decision to use Kaepernick in the ad. Martin calls the company "the mother of all harlots" for its ad campaign, calling into question its use of the phrase "sacrificed everything."

"According to me, he has sacrificed a salary," Martin posted in a note on the window of Prime Time Sports. The note is surrounded by pictures of fallen service members. "Nothing compared to what every soul on our 'Honor the Flag' memorial wall that was built a few years ago has suffered and died for."

Martin said the sale started Tuesday in an effort to permanently clear out all of his Nike inventory. We saw one customer who said she was drawn in by the store's prominent sign.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The NFL has an official rule against kneeling during the national anthem.

Under the new rule, players who choose to be on the field during the anthem will be required to stand. If a player or team employee is on the field during the anthem and chooses not to stand, that player’s franchise will be fined by the NFL. In turn, players and employees who choose to attend the anthem ceremonies but do not stand will also be eligible for a fine by their franchise, if the team chooses to levy one.

K. So we’re cool to like the NFL again? Just trying to keep all my boycotts, outrage and triggers straight lol.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
K. So we’re cool to like the NFL again? Just trying to keep all my boycotts, outrage and triggers straight lol.

I don’t really care about the NFL. The only game I may watch is the Super Bowl and that’s just an excuse to eat some nachos and watch some commercials, and that’s a big if.

I think it’s funny how people get so emotional about the marketing efforts of companies, and how a company is being used to express the opinion of some loser excutive. Whoever made the decision on the Kaepernick ad campaign will eventually get fired and black listed. It’s stupid for a company to express a political opinion unless they think “any attention, whether good or or bad is good publicity”.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NFL has an official rule against kneeling during the national anthem.

Under the new rule, players who choose to be on the field during the anthem will be required to stand. If a player or team employee is on the field during the anthem and chooses not to stand, that player’s franchise will be fined by the NFL. In turn, players and employees who choose to attend the anthem ceremonies but do not stand will also be eligible for a fine by their franchise, if the team chooses to levy one.

That was the case back in May, but since then the NFL has backtracked on that proposal and negotiations with the players union is ongoing.
Here is the latest I have seen on the subject
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pu...ing-players-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem/

And here is the official 2018 NFL rulebook.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/#2018-rule-changes

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the left to be a sudden reversal on capitalism, but if you say so... :coffee2:

I didn’t say so. That was clearly in cheek. I got no problem with economic development in emerging nations as it’s cheaper labor for us and actually provides stimulus and opportunity for those workers. Those are actually good jobs over there and their existence is vital for the world economy.

The left is hypocritical no argument here but I was more being critical of the “right” picking on offshore labor as their retaliatory criticism of Nike. THAT’S hypocritical if they are fine with it for everyone but the Nikes of the world who pizz em off. There’s lot of shiz to call out Nike and Knight about regarding their virtue signaling (this ad, the support of adulterous and drugged up Tiger or doping Jon Jones or Lance Armstrong or even the infidelity and gambling of Michael Jordan) but being capitalists and Republicans isn’t one of them. It’s not even low hanging fruit; it’s the wrong fruit entirely.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t say so. That was clearly in cheek. I got no problem with economic development in emerging nations as it’s cheaper labor for us and actually provides stimulus and opportunity for those workers. Those are actually good jobs over there and their existence is vital for the world economy.

The left is hypocritical no argument here but I was more being critical of the “right” picking on offshore labor as their retaliatory criticism of Nike. THAT’S hypocritical if they are fine with it for everyone but the Nikes who pizz em off. There’s lot of shiz to call out Nike and Knight about regarding their virtue signaling (this ad, the support of alduterous and drugged up Tiger or doping Jon Jones or Lance Armstrong or even the infidelity and gambling of Michael Jordan) but being capitalists and Republicans isn’t one of them. It’s not even low hanging fruit; it’s the wrong fruit entirely.

It wasn't clear at all. Also, those aren't "good jobs". They're desperately needed jobs, but that doesn't make them "good". WE didn't virtue signal by supporting "social justice", Nike did. So it's fair game to call them on their hypocrisy. I'm not criticizing offshore labor or capitalism, just the utter and blatant hypocrisy of Nike for their "do as I say, not as I do" campaign. It really is that simple.

P.S. I can and will complain about an offshoring debacle I endured last night. FedEx tried to deliver chemo meds to my house yesterday. They were trying to deliver to the wrong address. It took me over 45 minutes to get it through their thick skulls that they had the wrong address. It was incredibly aggravating to waste my time fixing their mistake on behalf of someone else, when everyone I spoke with could neither effectively speak nor comprehend English. That's ******** and a case of stupid offshoring. :censored:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wasn't clear at all. Also, those aren't "good jobs". They're desperately needed jobs, but that doesn't make them "good". WE didn't virtue signal by supporting "social justice", Nike did. So it's fair game to call them on their hypocrisy. I'm not criticizing offshore labor or capitalism, just the utter and blatant hypocrisy of Nike for their "do as I say, not as I do" campaign. It really is that simple.

Actually I was referring to Nike's virtue signalling. You're fair to criticize Nike for their marketing; I hate their spinning their marketing this way (to be fair, the same way places like Black Rifle Coffee spin their marketing the other side of the political spectrum). Phil Knight is a Republican who donated half a million to a GOP gubernatorial candidate in Oregon this year, so it's definitely hypocritical for Nike to "white knight" (or dark knight??) Kaepernick and lean on that for marketing.

But then it's equally silly for people on "the right" to criticize Nike with whataboutisms like the overseas factories when their real concern is with the pandering marketing. Don't pick on Nike for it if you drive your Hyundai or made-in-Mexico Volkswagen to Costco to buy your chinese made couch or whatever. Stick to what Nike's worthy of being criticized for.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No, you still have to be outraged at the National Fools League. The rule is not in effect. The players union is battling the National Fools League comish over the ruling.
What I thought was great was reports about the first game of the season having the lowest viewer numbers in recent history of any game. Typically a highly watched event.
Evidently those old farts that buy their Velcro shoes at Walmart are sending a message.
Fawk Nike btw.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I was referring to Nike's virtue signalling. You're fair to criticize Nike for their marketing; I hate their spinning their marketing this way (to be fair, the same way places like Black Rifle Coffee spin their marketing the other side of the political spectrum). Phil Knight is a Republican who donated half a million to a GOP gubernatorial candidate in Oregon this year, so it's definitely hypocritical for Nike to "white knight" (or dark knight??) Kaepernick and lean on that for marketing.

But then it's equally silly for people on "the right" to criticize Nike with whataboutisms like the overseas factories when their real concern is with the pandering marketing. Don't pick on Nike for it if you drive your Hyundai or made-in-Mexico Volkswagen to Costco to buy your chinese made couch or whatever. Stick to what Nike's worthy of being criticized for.

Oh...

th

Latest posts

Top Bottom