Comet ISON Approaching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sunspot AR1861 is pointing directly at Earth and crackling with C-class solar flares. Bigger eruptions could be in the offing. The sunspot has a 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field that could erupt at any time. NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of M-class flares and a 15% chance of X-flares on Oct. 12th..

You post this as if im supposed to know what the F it means. I dont!

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Party time!!

i.imgur.com_zC8whf3.jpg

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You post this as if im supposed to know what the F it means. I dont!

Solar flares are rated A, B, C, M, and X, with each category rated from 1-9. Think of a M class as medium while an X class is the biggest with a X9 the largest. There isn't anything to be worried about as long as our Magnetosphere is intact because it channels the effects towards the poles (auroras). Theoretically if something such as a X9 hit us dead on and our Magnetosphere was waning (it does fluctuate some) then it could be possible for us to experience a Carrington event ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859 ) it is believed that could caused a great deal of trouble for our modern world with our dependance on electronics. Also, it takes about 3 days normally for it to get here from the sun (some can happen a little sooner) so we should know it is coming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom