Computer question??? I need a geek!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have this Toshiba labtop with windows vista and im having this very annoying problem. about every 14 hours or so i get this blue screen and it says its doing a crash dump and a whole bunch of ****. I have deleted alot of stuff and at the moment i have like 75gigs of free space and only like 15-20 gigs used. It did this about 3 years ago and the computer was down for about 6 weeks then started working all of a sudden one day. I dont know what the issue could be i haven't downloaded anything off the internet in probably 2 years and i havent added anything from any cds. the computer makes a weird clicking noise and the screen will freeze then i get a blue screen any ideas? im still jobless so any "free" help would be appreciated.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be any one of a number of things from viruses or malware to a corrupted file or operating system to hardware that is going out. My money is on either overheating (those laptops get CAKED with dust inside) or a hard drive trying to buy the farm. I would highly recommend you back up any important files to a CD or flash drive before it goes bye-bye forever, though.

Then download the latest Avast AntiVirus, MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware (all these are available free) and run those programs through after updating. Multiple times.

If all that comes back ok, it narrows it down.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The clicking noise is either your harddrive dying or a fan that is failing or hitting a wire. My guess would be your harddrive is going down and that is why you are crashing.

Try downloading Seagate tools and post the results. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/seagateseatools.htm

Overheating could be an issue too. Download Speedfan and see if any component is exceeding 80 degree C. If it is, your laptop may be hitting its thermal safety threshold and shutting down.

X

xXVIPERXx

I build computers for gaming. I would suspect that your labtop has a bad hard drive. The blue screen is a nightmare. I would also cleanout the fans and all dust with an air spray or air hose. I also would probably get a hard drive that holds more. like a 360 g or 500 g . But that is pending if your labtop is not very new. Go ahead and replace the hard drive and once it is out shake the labtop to see if it has that sound and then hookup hard drive and turn on.See if sound starts with the booting of system. I usually stick to Seagate or Western Digital hard drives.They have the best warranty and seem to have longivity ....... One may also get some Ram Memory mayby 1 more stick . The more Ram the better the flow of the system . It takes 1g stick to just operate windows vista. So one would be better off to have at least 3 to 4 g's. This does not cost much ....pending if it's DDR-2, DDR-3 < and so on.....

chevy88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey geoff i got the seagate tools on my computer now what results are you talking about to post? the computer on makes that noise right before it crashes if i shake it it doesnt make any noise. If i get a new hdd do i have to get windows vista to and put it all back on my computer?

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
depends on if you got a backup disk with your laptop. most dont give you that anymore but they might have. if not go ahead and get windows 7 or go back to xp either one is a night and day difference over vista. and from working in the it world for so long i would bet on it being a hard drive failure. the clicking is what gives it away. if it was a fan you would hear the noise all of the time and if it is over heating i would think you would know it.... it would be damn hot on the bottom and the key board would be hot to the touch. but that is just my free advice...lol i only charge $75 and hour on my off time so if you want to bring it to tulsa... :)

chevy88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah but whats a hdd cost for a new one and a different operating system would it just be easier to get a new computer? Last time i checked was windows 2000 and that was like 400 bucks. i know thats old but still.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you get the blue screen, it should give a stop code; ie 0X0000007E. What is the stop code and full error? That will give a lot of direction towards the problem. Yes, the clicking noise isnt a good sign, but some drives are known for it, especially if it has a free fall sensor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom