Congress passes spending bill that includes selling milsurp 1911s through CMP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So that makes it rather difficult to complete 4473 Section C "immediately prior to the transfer of the firearm(s)".

How would this work with the CMP? I would assume the CMP would transfer to a local FFL to do the 4473. Am I wrong?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So that makes it rather difficult to complete 4473 Section C "immediately prior to the transfer of the firearm(s)".

How would this work with the CMP? I would assume the CMP would transfer to a local FFL to do the 4473. Am I wrong?

If the CMP treats the 1911’s the same way they do rifles, they as a “special” FFL can send the pistols directly to you. No transfer needed. But there must be an adult present to sign for delivery.

ETA: depends on the state. Some who do not respect the Constitution will require a transfer through a FFL anyway.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, everyone is going to have to resubmit qualifying documents along with signed copy of the receiving LGS’s license. Pistols will be transferred via that dealer. No 1911s to the doorstep like they do with Garands....

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd think they would replace the worn parts, but there are parts that wear that can't be repaired. I guess they could replace that though with other parts not worn as much.
The ones we were qualifying with basically rattled. Slides were sloppy, and the barrel could be wiggled around freely. I wasn't that smart on guns in that day and time, but It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they were worn out. They shot accordingly.
But they shot. And combat accuracy. They were fine. If you were in before 89-96, then I saw 1911s after you, and they all were rattle traps true indeed, but they speced out ok. Lots of leeway

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The following came to me last night from the CMP mailing list. Note there will be some significant differences between the 1911 sales and current (or prior) rifle sales.

CMP 1911 Information

To all CMP constituents:
The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.
Some preliminary decisions:
  1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
  2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
  3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
  4. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
  5. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
  6. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
  7. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
  8. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
  9. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
  10. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
  11. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
  12. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
  13. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
  14. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surely they won't charge as much for a 1911 as they do the Garands although some 1911 pistols are selling on Gunbroker for a LOT. I wonder who the manufacturers were of these 1911's that are going to be released to CMP?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surely they won't charge as much for a 1911 as they do the Garands although some 1911 pistols are selling on Gunbroker for a LOT. I wonder who the manufacturers were of these 1911's that are going to be released to CMP?

I expect they’ll charge bottom of the market prices - not as much as some folks ask for their USGI 1911’s on the open market, but the CMP won’t be giving them away, either.

As for manufacturers, I’m guessing they’ll be akin to Garand makers - all being offered, with the most prolific makers being the most common, etc. Just keep in mind the vast majority of these pistols will be mix masters. You can bet there won’t be any Singer 1911’s offered as part of this sale, nor the all-original 1911’s. Those will go to auction!

Latest posts

Top Bottom