1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

CMP 1911s

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by HiredHand, May 13, 2015.

1. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yes, I understand that. I also understand that CMP will need to acquire a FFL as well. Regardless, I do believe it will happen, eventually. Perhaps in two to three years.

2. mugsy

mugsy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't think the technical requirements are difficult. I think that Sec. Carter will not approve it because the administration doesn't approve of this. I don't expect anything to be available to purchasers until the next administration and then only if it's a Republican administration.

3. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yup. This administration will not allow the transfer of handguns...we're lucky they never shut down CMP's rifle sales.

I don't think CMP would need an FFL, they're already in the gun biz under their federal charter.

4. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I based that on the comment in the NRA press release.

5. Sanford

Sanford Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm thinking it means they'll have to transfer them to purchasers through FFL's, something they don't have to do with the rifles. Suspect it was added to keep it from "creating another loophole" or some such.

6. mugsy

mugsy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think the NDAA specifieds that CMP must obtain an FFL as a requirement to transfer the 1911s.

7. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Figures. Take a CMP sales system that's worked incredibly well for decades and screw it up...

8. Sanford

Sanford Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep, you're right. Here's the amendment with the relevant section highlighted. It's really sort of meaningless since they already conduct NICS checks and keep records of sales ... but guess it made someone more "comfortable" with closing loopholes and such.

9. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I wonder what the purchase limit will be or if they will sold by auction only.

10. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

As long as CMP does a rebuild on these like they have done for the Garands then it might be nice to get one; however, if they are some like the one's I carried during my time in, well it may be better to buy a new Colt 1911A1. Most of the one's we had during my time in were pretty rough, and unless you could get a new barrel, a rock was sometime's more accurate.

Plus you have ex-pres. Clinton to thank for not having many 1911A1's to sell through CMP, as he during the mid-90's sent large numbers of those, along with Thompson's, Garands, M14's, and other surplus firearms to Anniston Depot to be destroyed. These along with firearms taken by US Custom's, and other FED LE agencies to be destroyed to.

One of my job's during that time was to deliver, and be present to clear documents on certain lot's of firearms. This was also the time when the US Customs was switching from SW 3rd Gen pistols to Glocks. Over half of their 5906's, and 6906's were still new in the box, and they went into the chopper, this included several boxes of S&W CS-1's an CS-2's(Basically custom 686's with 4"-3" barrel's).