Controlled Hunt Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drew the Wichita mountains bull elk tag for December 11th.

I'm supper excited to say the least, but I've yet to see many big bulls killed from years past. Hope there's a chance for a 320+.

You have to understand going in to this hunt that you are not hunting Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona elk. These elk have smaller bodies than those out west and as a whole, their antlers are slightly smaller. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of very nice bulls on the refuge and I am sure that there are several that top 320 that are running around every year. I personally would say that 290-300 is going to be the average size of a big bull.

I personally think that the great thing about this hunt is that you are getting the chance to hunt wild elk in Oklahoma. It is everything about this hunt that makes it a great hunt. Not just the antler size..

While elevation is not what it is out west, this is not a hunt to walk in to and think that it is going to be a cake walk. The granite substrate out there can make this hunt as physically demanding as a hunt out west.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From 2001

i857.photobucket.com_albums_ab140_cfcsearch_elk4.gif

i857.photobucket.com_albums_ab140_cfcsearch_elk1.gif

Very nice bull! There's not many pics of bulls taken in the Wichita mountains on the net. I can only hope I'll be able to contribute this December.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While elevation is not what it is out west, this is not a hunt to walk in to and think that it is going to be a cake walk. The granite substrate out there can make this hunt as physically demanding as a hunt out west.

I've done a bit of deer hunting in the Quartz mountains and absolutely love it. Nothing like a little terrain to filter out all the road hunters and lazy a--es.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Haven't seen the specific regs on Cross-Timbers, but I'd assume you could chase hogs there. I think I remember them saying it'd be open to archery, drawn for rifle/muzzleloader?

Latest posts

Top Bottom