copper plating bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the shortage of bullets and my own curiosity has compelled me to experiment with plating bullets. I could have bought a commercial plating kit and gone that route, but where's the adventure in that. You can find almost anything on the interweeb, and some of it is even true..(I think) Looking at different experiments in copper plating bullets, I embarked on my own journey. I remember using copper sulphate crystals to dabble in plating as a high school kid, didn't work very well, but it was a starting point. I bought a container of copper sulphate crystals from Lowes, they sell it for root removal from your septic system.
My first experiments were with vinegar with the copper sulphate crystals dissolved in it until the solution was at saturation. (crystals would no longer dissolve in it.) I used a 5 volt wall transformer type power supply and some copper flashing for the anode. I got some small amounts of copper deposited on the bullets, but it was not of the quality I was looking for. I added some muriatic acid to the solution and it sped up the process quite a bit, but still left a lot to be desired in plating quality.
After talking with my son the chemist, I abandoned the solution I was working with and started a new one. I dissolved more copper sulphate crystals in about 32 ounces of water and then added 20 ounces of 35% sulphuric acid to the mix.
The little power supply I was using was going into shutdown due to the low resistance of the plating solution, so another power supply was needed. I had an old microwave oven that I had been saving to rebuild the power transformer from it, so that started that phase of the project. Removing the transformer, cutting the core apart, removing the secondary high voltage winding, rewinding with 8 turns of #10 ga stranded insulated wire, rewelding the core, adding a diode and a large rheostat to control the current.

Now with .7 volts I am getting a decent plate on the lead with the new solution. I will have to experiment with different anode configurations and different methods of holding the bullets to be plated, but I think I am going to be able to make my own plated bullets. They sure aren't pretty and shiny like the commercial double struck bullets I was buying, but if they shoot well, I don't really care about how shiny they are. I will be logging the plating density vs time and current in my next series of experiments.

P.S. I've spent more on protective gear for handling the acids than I would have spent on just buying the bullets, but that's part of the game as well...

Last edited:

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an electroplater by trade. My advice would be to look into alkaline copper plating solutions. Besides putting an etch on, I don't use anything acidic in my copper processes.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
we've messed around with it at work. using a similar technique as yours to start. our success was limited but did work to some extent. kinda fun just to see if you can do it.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an electroplater by trade. My advice would be to look into alkaline copper plating solutions. Besides putting an etch on, I don't use anything acidic in my copper processes.

Any home brew solutions available for the alkaline processes? I'm not interested in any of the cyanide solutions. I worked in a plating company in my younger days, did cad, chrome, nickle, brass, copper, silver and Gold. Lots of nasty cyanide solutions then. They worked very well, but I bet in todays world, the EPA would have lots to say..

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this point, it hasn't grown to the point that I have to resize. If I plate to the depth that the commercial plated bullets are, I would need to start with a smaller diameter bullet. I think with the hard cast bullets, I can get by with a thinner plating. I plan to do some chronograph tests with plated and unplated bullets with the same load to see if I can see any difference in velocity. So far I have been working with small quantities (1 or 2 at a time). When I go to a basket arrangement, I will have to recalibrate the current level due to the increased surface area of the cathode. Just getting the plating to this point has been very satisfying for me. I will post pictures later..

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this point, it hasn't grown to the point that I have to resize. If I plate to the depth that the commercial plated bullets are, I would need to start with a smaller diameter bullet. I think with the hard cast bullets, I can get by with a thinner plating. I plan to do some chronograph tests with plated and unplated bullets with the same load to see if I can see any difference in velocity. So far I have been working with small quantities (1 or 2 at a time). When I go to a basket arrangement, I will have to recalibrate the current level due to the increased surface area of the cathode. Just getting the plating to this point has been very satisfying for me. I will post pictures later..

I'm interested in this as well. Looking forward to your reports on chronograph tests and your final setup.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have started casting my own for my 45acp lately and a friend was asking me this weekend about doing this very thing. I was thinking that if I had a mold that would cast at .451 instaed of the .452 that I am using now, it would give enough room to put a heavier plate onto the bullet before I would have to worry about sizing them.
Please keep the info going on this.

Also, there are several guys using powder coat on bullets that seem to really do good as well. Also, some sort of poly paint that they use over seas in europe on lead cast bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom