Cost of deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't hunt public except during bow or maybe MZ.

Ditto that. Especially eastern OK. In western, like Black Kettle, etc., I've had positive experiences during rifle.

Archery is fine on public lands. ML - again, prefer Western.

Rifle season on most public lands = pumpkin patch. Don't go to your spot until well after first light, and start heading back with plenty of light, so you don't become a victim of a nincompoop sound/low light shooter.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one doesn't need much equipment to successfully harvest deer. but what one does need is a buddy to show you the ropes.

learning curve can be steep or flat depending upon if one has a guide.
public land can be hunted on... at your own risk... you have no idea of how big an idiot(s) are sharing the same space.

my deer hunting buddy who's seasoned as they come... looks like a mountain man... uses no special clothing, shoots an old 30.06, carries food to snack on, a comfortable chair and a book to read. he'll get a shot when no one else does.

but he's scouted out his spot and taken time to clear out shooting lanes. positioned himself at the top of a hill, so air currents raises as the day heats up, etc, etc.

me.... full carbon suit, custom weatherby .270 w/unertl ... stalking... sneaking up on deer.
yes ... my style of hunting is completely different from those that I learnt from. but I had to learn how to be successful their way of hunting before figuring out what works for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom