Cost of deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya, although, for modern firearms (rifle) my hunts have gotten less expensive. Started off buying all the gear; tree stands, clothes, scent mask... Now I use a set of acorn scent tags that pin to my clothes (had em 8 years now, hunt in jeans and a normal coat, while setting on a 5 gallon bucket.

SO, when we going hunting? That seems like just what I need to do. :woot:

Reaction score
I figure my deer meat runs about $350 per pound, so no - not for me.

If you do it RIGHT, then sure you can get economies of scale: ONE (or two) rifles, ordinary clothes, public lands; jest go hunt. Don't do what I do: Scents, calls, expensive clothing, boots, decoys, leases, hotels, ammo, guns, bows, more guns, more bows, more ammo, arrows, more guns, muzzleloaders, more muzzleloaders, more ammo, etc., etc.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wifes former boss having 2 sections and genourously allowing me to join them for deer camp and allowing me to hunt there is another good reason, my first experience in 89 on public land was harrowing and I swore it was the end.

Sorry about your public experience...it was the same as mine. I don't hunt public except during bow or maybe MZ.

The deer camp thing will make you an addict...just go along and enjoy it:D

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the way I look at it, It's kinda like reloading. By the time you buy your press, scales, primer, tumbler, bullets, cases, powder, etc, etc, etc, and you load 100 rounds. Was it worth it? Now you have all the equipment and now how to do it yourself and it can be done over and over again. So the more you reload or "hunt" the more it pays for itself. And plus some of the expreriences that go along with it are priceless, escpecially if your taking your children or if you were taken when you were a child. But if you want the actual facts, watch Jeff Foxworthy's incomplete deer hunter and he'll break it down from the 4 wheeler that he needed to the zip lock bags!!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the way I look at it, It's kinda like reloading. By the time you buy your press, scales, primer, tumbler, bullets, cases, powder, etc, etc, etc, and you load 100 rounds. Was it worth it?

It is to me but I bet I've loaded over 25,000 rounds in the last 10 years. Between prairie dogs and uspsa, we go through some ammo. I have paid for the stuff for sure and have a lot better ammo that is tuned to my guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom