Cost of deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, lets see...Gun, reloader, components, diesel fuel for tractor in food plots,implements, seed, fertilizer, feeder, corn, trail cam, camo clothes, stand, atv, fuel in vehicle to get there and back, extra freezer for meat, a grinder to make burger.
I'm sure I missed a few, but I'm thinking I'm not saving anything.
But I sure have fun doing it:D

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i used to process my own game and mow my own lawn, don't do either anymore.

for me hunting is my vacation, worth the money. but a trip to the meat market would be faster and cheaper

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know most don't hunt to save money, but I was wondering if there is any real cost savings to hunting. After the hunting license, deer tag and having it processed, would a hunter come out ahead or behind vs. buying meat at the store?

Come on man, why you have to go and ask question like that man?

I thought we were all cool here, man.:nolike:

:)

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on how you do it and how much your time is worth.

If you buy scent locking socks, trail cams, feed plots, camo etc... It can get expensive.

If you go out in your jeans and sit under a tree downwind from a deer, shoot it, then process it yourself. Even after license you can do well.
What is good venison worth per pound?
$7.00? ??

How about venison jerky? $30/lb? more??

You can't buy jerky like I make it and like it. Not at any price.

I shot a deer in my backyard one year. Didn't decide to hunt until a few days before. Didn't do anything fancy to prepare. Got lucky and saw a little buck and took him. I had called my dad and mentioned I was going to hunt and was looking for a processor and he encouraged me to do it myself. When he was growing up he ate more venison than beef and they never used a processor, "you kidding me?".

To answer to OP' s original question, yes it can be done but when you turn it into a hobby you can find lots of things to spend money on. I try to keep the costs minimal and use iron sights to keep it more in the family tradition of more of a food gathering type of hunt rather than a trophy hunting hobby.

That being said, I'll probably get a scoped deer rifle and might buy a trail cam this year. Toys are fun to have!!

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I process all game we hunt, my wife and daughter all help in boning out meat and wrapping. My three year old son will help out this year. I load the animal, skin, gut, quarter and grind meat. luckily this year I motorized my meat grinder just yesterday. I had the motor for along time, just never got around to building the coupler between motor and grinder. now it's done and ready for meat. I too have a lifetime licence I bought in 97, rifle was a gift back then, and my leases are traded out in welding work. I feel as though i come out ahead and we spend quality time together.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you process yourself, you might save a little. But I guess it all depends on what all you are paying for...

Yearly vs Lifetime license = cost difference
Lease vs Public or "Buddy" land = cost difference
Guide vs no Guide = cost difference
Pay to Process vs Self Process = cost difference
Proximity to where you hunt = cost difference
Number of deer and movement = possible time = cost difference.

Lot of factors when you start asking about overall cost.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I first started deer hunting... an experienced deer hunting buddy told me that per lb... deer would be the most expensive meat I'd ever eat.

many years and many deer harvested later... he was sure right!

Latest posts

Top Bottom