Cost of deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when I first started deer hunting... an experienced deer hunting buddy told me that per lb... deer would be the most expensive meat I'd ever eat.

many years and many deer harvested later... he was sure right!

I hear ya, although, for modern firearms (rifle) my hunts have gotten less expensive. Started off buying all the gear; tree stands, clothes, scent mask... Now I use a set of acorn scent tags that pin to my clothes (had em 8 years now, hunt in jeans and a normal coat, while setting on a 5 gallon bucket.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the time i get in the tree could cost $100 an hour and still be worth it.some of the best hunts i have never involve taking a shot.do it long enough and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last couple years they were charging $75 to $100 to process a deer. On average the deer processed by these local shops provide 35 pounds of meat. That's $2.14 to $2.85 a pound. Once you factor in fuel, gun, ammo, tags, license, and time that is very expensive meat. I will not pay that to get to shoot and take home a doe or small buck.

jemayes

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the wife's read this and start adding it up (deer jerky 225.00 @ lbs) we'll all eating at MckeeD's. You can buy a turkey for the cost of a decoy BUT it ain't the same.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never paid for someone to process deer.

it's not that hard to do... if someone is able to field dress a deer. then they've got the skills to process a deer.

all you need is a way to hang the deer. skin, then simply carve off portions by muscle type into baggies. dump into a large ice chest, fill full of ice to age for a few days. some like it aged past a week.

go to sam's for butcher paper. then carve out smaller portions to freeze. be sure to label carefully. the time you take to carefully remove all unwanted parts will pay dividends later.

best of all... no wild taste if done properly. butchers cannot take the time you put into. they cut with a bandsaw. bone marrow in meat will make it wild tasting.

home processing is better and cheaper.

Last couple years they were charging $75 to $100 to process a deer. On average the deer processed by these local shops provide 35 pounds of meat. That's $2.14 to $2.85 a pound. Once you factor in fuel, gun, ammo, tags, license, and time that is very expensive meat. I will not pay that to get to shoot and take home a doe or small buck.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Life time hunting license paid for it's self long ago.
$300.00 per year lease fee.
$70.00 my share of 11 days worth of groceries.
$40.00 one 5th of whiskey.
$200.00 beer.
$250.00 fuel.
$25.00 one gallon of shine.
Total $885.00
11 days no cell phone, internet, tv, newspaper, alarm clock .
Good food, beautiful country, Hunting with my son and grandson, Campfires under the stars and the best of friends and family. Priceless

Pat

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ammo and tag. . . . That's all I pay. We have 22 acres and plenty of public and neighbors land to hunt. I process, debone and age the meat myself. It isn't hard and the taste is much much better.... Also, unless it's one that is getting hung on the wall (I'm from Iowa so not many hangers here) I'm going for a young doe.....

mdbeck1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you count how much money you spend on vacation? If you are like me you spend more money on a vacation than you'll spend on hunting. When I'm on vacation with the wife I have to pay for entertainment, food, hotel, fuel,... If I'm hunting the entertainment is taken care of and I don't have to worry about a hotel. Yeah pound for pound it's cheaper to go buy beef if you count all of the stuff you spend to start up.

I count the time on the deer stand as the most relaxing in the world. No phones, no tv, no internet. Nothing to keep me from relaxing. ...and if I'm lucky I'll see deer and get to eat some deer jerky or deer chili or ...

In the last couple of years it's been really special in that my son has been going with me. You can't put a price on that. I've taught him to skin, butcher, make jerky, cook chili, grind meat, track game, ...and he enjoys it. Can you get that on a week at Disneyland?

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
don't worry about cost just go to the woods sit look and listen.do you hear a phone ring, your neighbor yelling at kid or some one else,tv showing the same old shows (unless ou is playing),your spouse telling you to do honey do jobs,or the trying to get the internet working after the wife has fried it. no just go relax if you get something great if not enjoy the alone time.but most of all if you hunt with your father or other family enjoy it because one day they won't be here to be able to enjoy it.money means nothing any more you can't take it with you.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could have bought around 20 head of cattle for what I have paid for hunting rifles!

Hunting is a hobby, don't get into it to save money cause you won't!

Latest posts

Top Bottom