Cost of deer hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(I'm from Iowa so not many hangers here) I'm going for a young doe.....

We have some good deer too.

I have to admit Iowa has some massive bucks but we do to. Maybe not as many, but good ones. Okla has been in the run for the next world record buck for several years in several magazines. A B&C buck of 200 was taken from McCalister last year. I did note on a search that Iowa is the top state for B&C bucks.
good hunting!:D

This is an paragraph from the B&C home page:

Perhaps the most interesting pattern is the impact state management practices can have on entries. In Kansas, modern rifle season takes place after the rut, while in Oklahoma it generally falls during the peak of the rut. Also, the black powder season in Kansas is in mid-September, when the trees still wear leaves and temperatures are high. In contrast, Oklahoma’s black powder season occurs in late October and early November, when temperatures are cool, bucks are starting to rut, and the leaves are falling. Since the majority of bucks killed are taken during gun seasons, timing those seasons so bucks are less vulnerable gives the animals time to mature. Similar differences are apparent between seasons and the number of big-buck entries from Iowa and Missouri, Ohio and West Virginia, and Nebraska and Kansas.

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting and providing food for the table isn't all about monetary savings.

Many peeps have posted that getting away from the daily grind of life is the best part. Me, well I like to see new things, nature, and wildlife. I don't hunt a lot of stands, but I will under certain conditions. I normally like to walk quietly and glass, just a rifle, a back pack with water, snacks, rope and TP.

winddomino

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have yet to lease any land. I spend very few dollars on processing, I cut up my own meat and I have to buy packaging material. I don't really classify my gun as an expense of the hunt. I look at it as more of a wash. I don't do it to save money but its a hobby. Any entertainment is going to cost a little money.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know most don't hunt to save money, but I was wondering if there is any real cost savings to hunting. After the hunting license, deer tag and having it processed, would a hunter come out ahead or behind vs. buying meat at the store?

Definately behind whether it's venison, turkey, dove, or any other game. Throw in the cost of a lease and the cost per pound goes way up. To me the cost is irrelevent because it's what I love doing and I get the great benefit for my family & I of being able to eat everything I shoot. Good thing is that it's probably no more expensive than any other hobby one might get into. Also, I always have my wife's approval because she knows where I'm at, who I'm with, and what I'm doing. I am fortunate in that my family also likes to eat all the wild game that I bring home. Best thing to do is not even think about the cost factor of hunting versus going to the grocery store. No need in taking any of the fun out of your hunt!

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PERK of having all of that - the grinder, the extra freezers, the knowledge of butchering, hunting, and even processing your own game is INVALUABLE when it comes to being SELF RELIANT.

I'm not saying you'd ever have to go out into the woods and hunt just to put food on the table, but SOME people might, especially those that live in rural areas and lose their jobs, etc. Once all of that is bought and paid for, you own it. You COULD have spent that same money on food - but after 10 years, I doubt it would have tasted so good. By learning the skills needed, you can reliably feed yourself/your family for when that worst case scenario occurs.

OR what if you already know HOW to process/butcher? What if you get an extra freezer for free? The total cost of the 'hunt' is now reduced to the cost of a bullet and some patience, maybe a few gallons of gas.

Obviously, most would own a gun whether they hunt or NOT - so you can't add the cost of a firearm generally (at least on this forum). Sooo, even on a conservative end - you net 75 lbs of meat after it's all said and done, maybe even gave a friend 20 lbs in order to help you process it, you have now saved hundreds of dollars.

For the cost of a few gallons of gas, patience, and [hopefully!] one bullet.

I firmly believe hunting saves money if done properly and frugally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom