Cox Internet usage issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went over last month first time in awhile and got an Email from em. 300 is easy t go over with everyone coming home in th evening and piggybacking off my wi-fi. Turned out it was my son blowing me up. With NetGenie I can just shut him down when I think he's done- from my laptop or my phone. Problem solved.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like was said earlier, it is a soft limit. As long as your node isnt having any issues with bandwidth, then you probably won't ever hear from Cox. But if there are bandwidth issues, they may throttle you back until more capacity can be added in your area.
Basically what they are watching for is people running servers out of their houses on residential plans. If you become to much of a bandwidth hog, like running a server, they may try and get you to upgrade to a business plan, so they can keep you from causing issues for other customers.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you become to much of a bandwidth hog, like running a server, they may try and get you to upgrade to a business plan, so they can keep you from causing issues for other customers.

DHCP generally keeps people from running servers. And the only real difference between Cox business plans and their residential ones is the cost (not that they may not try forcing an upgrade in some cases).

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cox. pfffffff :chop: I'm mad at them right now. I had to wait 5 days for a tech to come out and fix our connection because another tech "kinked" our line doing an install on our neighbors house. Plus side though I'm getting a 10.16 credit on my bill.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DDNS easily run a server from home.

Exactly, DHCP doesn't stop much but it slows down the people who don't understand how things work anyway so they don't even get started. They also don't want you to be selling your connection to your neighbors or splitting the bill with the neighborhood. Having a limit also makes you more apt to secure your WiFi.

Cox is really lenient on the overages in most locations. They kind of had to put the system in place due to a few hogs and the perceived possibility that more would pop up. Most people get an email or two and eventually maybe even redirected to a page telling you about an "issue" and to call to upgrade but even then it also depends on the traffic. They have colocated Netflix servers on their network which offloads a lot of bandwidth as they are updated in the early mornings so if that is what is taking you over I wouldn't worry a bit about it. If your power downloading Pr0n then maybe you need to seek counseling or at least a girlfriend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom