coyote pup.... rescued.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i got a call from a friend of mine and he said "i got something for ya, be by in 10-15mins". he shows up and hands me an old shirt with this little critter in it.... short story: he was burning brush piles and heard a noise, thought it was rabbits and walked around to the back side and this little guy was crawling out, unfortunately his brothers and sisters did not make it out. the little guy has some shorter hair on his back in spot from the fire, but nothing to the skin. we nick named him "Lucky" for now...lol. the local vet has a mix i can use to substitute for the mother’s milk, so hopefully he'll pull through. our Yorkie doesn't take to him too well but my heeler looks over him pretty good.

going to contact a friend of mine (local game warden) later today and see what he wants me to do with the little guy.... i know its a little ironic that i love hunting coyotes and now i might have the chance to raise/study one...lol, but i gotta give this little guy some credit he's a fighter. i have done tons of research and reading on these guys since getting bit by the predator hunting bug years ago but having a live one would be nice to look over and learn from......besides he might be the best thing in my arsenal for hunting coyotes.... :thumbup3:

pup1.jpg

pup2.jpg

(ugh i'm such a softie...lol)

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can, you should totally keep him. I would love to have one as a pet

my boys want to keep him also...the wife on the other hand thinks its gonna hulk out over night and feast on us...lol. "if" he stays i'm just gonna split the pin i have now for my heeler and cover the top of the coyote pin with fencing. time will tell...

i have always liked this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcQDZWHrGTU

Last edited by a moderator:

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting............ a live decoy. I wonder if he would run off first time he hears his relatives? How would they interact? If he is domestically fed, how big will he get? Will you have the same hunting mentality having raised one? Constant updates, please.

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a dog when I was growing up that was half coyote and half chow. Best damn dog I ever had. Growing up out in the country, the two of us wondered over many miles together. He was also a better hunter than I ever was, and I had a gun.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting............ a live decoy. I wonder if he would run off first time he hears his relatives? How would they interact? If he is domestically fed, how big will he get? Will you have the same hunting mentality having raised one? Constant updates, please.

my thoughts exactly, a long rope with a bandana around his neck...lol. if and when he does fire off a few howls then my job just got easier...sorta .223 ammo is like gold :(...lol. feeding and size will be relative to a normal domestic dog. I will still hunt them despite possibleing raising one, its the type of hunting that gets my blood going and in return some of the farmers let me deer hunt their places, well at least for my sons sake any how.

Awesome! Yeah, keep us updated, I'd like to know how it turns out. But always remember, it is a wild animal.

word. thats what i've been telling my oldest "always keep in mind what he is as he grows old"...if we keep him.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An ex boss I worked for had a coy dog. Half coyote, half heeler. It never left the guys side, and was very possessive of him. The dog wouldn't allow anybody near him.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might change your mind about keeping him when he starts yipping constantly.
The Fort Sill Wildlife guys rescued and raised one last year. Cute little bugger. He seemed much more energetic and vocal than normal dog breeds I have raised.

Latest posts

Top Bottom