Coyote question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s say that a person is driving down a rural road (let’s say on Route 66 between Luther and Arcadia) during the day and sees a coyote walking across a cow pasture. If that person has a hunting license, pulls over, and shoots the yote, is that legal?

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to start carrying a rifle in the van. I’ve come across 4 yotes, 3 of which I could’ve shot. I did hit the 4th one at about 60 while she was taking a meal back to the den.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think so because of two issues. First, it is not legal to shoot from a roadway which includes the easement. Secondly, you need permission from the landowner of the said pasture.

Shooting From Road​

Shooting from or across any public road, highway (or right-of-way) or railroad right-of-way is prohibited. Public roadways are defined as any governmental or corporate roadways where vehicular traffic is not restricted and the roadway is routinely used by the general public.

Landowner Permission​

Hunters must obtain permission to enter any posted or occupied land or land primarily devoted to farming, ranching or forestry purposes.

Nothing in this guide shall be interpreted as permitting hunting or allowing access into any area, public or private, without permission from the owners or custodian as required by law. All persons are prohibited from entering land owned by another without permission for the sole purpose of retrieving domestic livestock or other animals.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cant pull out the regs where I am at and further look in to. Most land owners may not care if they knew what you shot maybe, but you do need to have landowner permission to shoot animal on their property in my opinion, Or you are just asking for a confrontation at somepoint, regardless of writing law. I see what you copy/pasted above, but still say it isnt right to shoot into someones property knowingly without permission law or not. that is just me.
perhaps it will be clearer by another post, or call a game warden.
but the above post- if shooting into would be determined you must still have permission.

Last edited:

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think so because of two issues. First, it is not legal to shoot from a roadway which includes the easement. Secondly, you need permission from the landowner of the said pasture.

Shooting From Road​

Shooting from or across any public road, highway (or right-of-way) or railroad right-of-way is prohibited. Public roadways are defined as any governmental or corporate roadways where vehicular traffic is not restricted and the roadway is routinely used by the general public.

Landowner Permission​

Hunters must obtain permission to enter any posted or occupied land or land primarily devoted to farming, ranching or forestry purposes.

Nothing in this guide shall be interpreted as permitting hunting or allowing access into any area, public or private, without permission from the owners or custodian as required by law. All persons are prohibited from entering land owned by another without permission for the sole purpose of retrieving domestic livestock or other animals.
I know that you can’t shoot from the road, but when does the shoulder stop being the shoulder, at the fence line?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let’s say that a person is driving down a rural road (let’s say on Route 66 between Luther and Arcadia) during the day and sees a coyote walking across a cow pasture. If that person has a hunting license, pulls over, and shoots the yote, is that legal?

No.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that you can’t shoot from the road, but when does the shoulder stop being the shoulder, at the fence line?
I’ve always thought that the easement is considered part of the roadway.

As an owner of pasture land, I wouldn’t want someone shooting into my pasture. There would be a problem if I found someone doing this. Many cattle have been accidentally shot because of people doing what you’re asking about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom