Coyote question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma trespass laws regarding hunting and access got a major work over in the late 90’s or early 2000’s I think it was.
Prior to that work over the ODW regs said (paraphrasing here to some extent):
If the land wasn’t posted or otherwise occupied, permission was not required for access.
Meaning if it was open rangeland or out of state owners that didn’t maintain fences, occupy the land or use it for a working farm or ranch it was open ground.
The question about what is considered occupied or maintained became one of those grey areas that Ok GW’s had to interpret basically on their own as the definition as written by the legislature was poorly written.
We always consulted ours in Kay and Grant counties as the same GW worked both.
I won’t go into the long details as all of that is mute now with the overhaul of Oklahoma trespass laws.
Shooting from, on or across a road has always been illegal as it should be.
What was interesting about the discussions going on regarding the change in laws was some of the proposals that certain lobbyists were putting out there.
A sportsman’s political group I used to belong to sponsored a wild game feast for the Ok legislature at the Hern Family Farm facility in OKC so I attended to listen in.
Some were advocating the Purple paint method some states were using to mark areas where hunting was not allowed.
I think Kansas uses that, but anyway, someone else quickly shot that down as anti hunting activist were painting every piece of property they could find and it became a mess for states that use it.
There were other proposals, but the legislators finished up what we have currently.
The trapping regs are still a total mess that needs more cleanup work. They have improved a little in recent years but not enough.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short of it is, no matter how you do it, it is illeagal. If caught they can take your gun,
your vehicle, and your hunting rights. Your hunting rights could be gone in several states
as well. You may or may not get your gun or your vehicle back. The depending on what
else you have in your possesion while comitting the crime could mean bigger problems.
If you are carrying conceled while commiting a crime, can be a crime by itself. The same
goes if you have a tax stamp for a sbr, or suppressor. If you use one of those to commit
the crime, it all ramps up even more. I had a guy with legal suppressor, shoot from the
bar ditch on my property, while he was carrying a legal handgun. He is still waiting on his
trial for multiple felonies.
So I am assuming the suppressor was attached to the handgun and the combination was used to illegally shoot from the bar ditch. Shooting from a bar ditch (not using a NFA item) is a ticketable misdemeanor, but not sure if they will arrest you on the spot and take you to jail while impounding all your equipment. Having the suppressor on must have upgraded the charge to a felony. You said multiple felonies. I wonder if you could elaborate on what the other charges were? Also is he charged in state of federal court?

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget about shooting from the road's 'shoulder'.
Just shoot from the hip & honk twice. Like this...
*BeeP* *BeeP*
Or just leave a crate of ACME products out in the field-
& the Coyotes will soon destroy themselves.
For real. Saw it on TV.

But seriously folks; I have several family members who used to hunt Coyotes with packs of Greyhounds
that were released from cages in the beds of their pick-ups. They also used rifles & shotguns...& occasionally small, fixed wing aircraft- ...with a Tail Gunner (often my Great Uncle armed w/ a humpback
Browning A-5 12 ga.). Helluva shot, ol' John.
This was back when TVs were Black & White, fuel & ammo was cheap, & a wayward Lawn Darts could
pin small dogs & babies to the turf.
Does anyone still hunt canines with canines these days?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget about shooting from the road's 'shoulder'.
Just shoot from the hip & honk twice. Like this...
*BeeP* *BeeP*
Or just leave a crate of ACME products out in the field-
& the Coyotes will soon destroy themselves.
For real. Saw it on TV.

But seriously folks; I have several family members who used to hunt Coyotes with packs of Greyhounds
that were released from cages in the beds of their pick-ups. They also used rifles & shotguns...& occasionally small, fixed wing aircraft- ...with a Tail Gunner (often my Great Uncle armed w/ a humpback
Browning A-5 12 ga.). Helluva shot, ol' John.
This was back when TVs were Black & White, fuel & ammo was cheap, & a wayward Lawn Darts could
pin small dogs & babies to the turf.
I’ve heard of greyhounds, and even regular hounds being used for running down coyotes. I’ve run across a few people online who use border collies to herd or even tolling as decoy dogs. I’ve seen guys who use their Drahthaars to retrieve shot coyotes, typically cause they ran across them hunting other stuff. That’s what I intend on doing with Clyde once he’s old enough. Just go hang out in the hide with me and wait for me to shoot ‘em.
A8B246BA-26E9-499B-9490-5E3291FDC0F5.jpeg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard of greyhounds, and even regular hounds being used for running down coyotes. I’ve run across a few people online who use border collies to herd or even tolling as decoy dogs. I’ve seen guys who use their Drahthaars to retrieve shot coyotes, typically cause they ran across them hunting other stuff. That’s what I intend on doing with Clyde once he’s old enough. Just go hang out in the hide with me and wait for me to shoot ‘em. View attachment 314659
Who me i just want a biscuit!

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes, there is a dedicated group of hunters in my neck of the woods that hunt every Sat. and Sun. from now till the end of March. They will have several dog trucks and will put at least one on each side of a section of land. Then the herders on ATVs will drive out the draws and wooded areas to get the coyotes up and moving. Then they try to steer the yotes towards a dog truck so the dogs don't have to sprint too far to run them down. The dog truck drives towards where the yote looks like it will cross the section road and if it all goes well they turn out the dogs and the chase is on. It's pretty exciting to be a herder. I occasionally participate in my Ranger when they get close to my house to where I can drive to the field without having to trailer it there.

The main herders are pretty hard core. They are out there in the weather no matter how bad it is. The only time they don't hunt is if the roads are hard packed with snow or ice. It is a bit dangerous racing across open pasture land at 25mph+ while focusing on the coyote and the terrain at the same time. I have seen several accidents where guys on quads that the quad stops but the rider keeps going. Fortunately no serious injuries that I have heard about. At least my Polaris has a seat belt and a roll cage, but it can still be spine jarring. All of this is coordinated with two way radios. There will also be a group of spotters that just park at vantage points and call out when a coyote is flushed and let the rest know what part of the field it is in and which way it is headed. It's quite a production.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting to hear recent tales of Coyotes being hunted by dogs. I forgot to mention the CB Radios they used back then in my post. I'm sure they would've used ATVs then too, if available.
I recall chasing down Jack Rabbits in pickup trucks, with a couple of kids (like me) in the bed, leaning over the cab, & shooting them with shotguns. Some would run under the truck, & we'd have to be careful not to 'scuff
up the fenders' with lead pellets.
We must've done a good job, as I ain't seen a J R in years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom