Coyote question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently some people have never owned land or have sat down and read their deeds but it pacifically states in your deed that your property line goes to the center of the roadway on county roads, city and state are different , and you pay property taxes on that part of your land but the original owners in the past signed over a road easement to have a road put in and if for any reason the road gets closed and abandon the property goes back to the current property owner. But the roadway is from fence line to fence line and if for some reason the county wants to widen that road they can do so from fence line to fence line without any questions cause they now have control over the right of way.

Your deed may state a reference to a roadway but more often than not it won't, especially in newer deeds. I've read literally thousands and can't recall one stating to the center of a roadway unless it was just to make a description more clear. What it will state is a specific description of a property line that will in fact be the center of the roadway.

To get ROW dimensions you have to go back to the ROW deed/grant itself. What is written on your deed can be and is often wrong, but the detail of ROWs are covenants running with the land so it doesn't have to be stated in each deed. Legal descriptions don't change generally, but they certainly can if it's resurveyed.

You are correct that you own to the center of the road. And it could be that you are thinking of many people not knowing that back in the day and they screw up their legal description by leaving that part out because they didn't think they owned the road when they sold their place. I have seen that fairly often.

To the thread, ROWs are pretty standard in size but there's no concrete width defined by statute in Oklahoma that I'm aware of. The ROW width for interstates are not the same as for county roads or state highways, and city roads are generally different than those. You also get differences due to terrain or obstacles on occasion.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Jared care to weigh in? at what point do you go from a shooting from the road ticket to a trespassing violation?
As most in this thread agree, regardless of where you are standing or shooting from, roadway or not, trespassing/hunting without permission would be a violation for shooting game on someone else’s property without consent.

I’m also uncertain of what the “right-of-way” legally is, and I am only speaking for myself here, when I make that case it’s gonna be that the suspect was in/on the road when they shot, or they shot across the roadway.

The violation of “hunting with the aid of a motorized vehicle” is often applicable in these “road hunting” cases.

Y’all let me know if any fruit starts to droop.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't do it!

A typical yote is NOT going to hang around when you stop, when you walk to fence, when you climb through fence.
It will be a long, running shot, where you don't know your backstop or have permission to be.

Shoot from road or trespass will cost $$$$ and cause you grief.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did find this. It's not real clear but at least there are some measurements. Has a good map, too, to show the various roadway right of way widths by area of the state.

Statutory Right-of-Way Widths​

The Oklahoma Constitution accepted R/W widths for county roads as defined under Tribal Treaties and Congress actions governing the Oklahoma Territory . Oklahoma has statutory R/W widths of 0', 33', 49.5' and 66'. There are other widths based off road sections removed from the State Highway System and given to counties, adverse possession (fence to fence widths) and new roadway construction where additional R/W was acquired.
https://www.occedb.org/county-highw...as statutory R/W,additional R/W was acquired.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a reference for that? I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything.
You'll find out if you own land joining 2 sections and someone behind it wants access to their property and you have to rebuild fence on both sides of the section line for a road through your property.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short of it is, no matter how you do it, it is illeagal. If caught they can take your gun,
your vehicle, and your hunting rights. Your hunting rights could be gone in several states
as well. You may or may not get your gun or your vehicle back. The depending on what
else you have in your possesion while comitting the crime could mean bigger problems.
If you are carrying conceled while commiting a crime, can be a crime by itself. The same
goes if you have a tax stamp for a sbr, or suppressor. If you use one of those to commit
the crime, it all ramps up even more. I had a guy with legal suppressor, shoot from the
bar ditch on my property, while he was carrying a legal handgun. He is still waiting on his
trial for multiple felonies.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The short of it is, no matter how you do it, it is illeagal. If caught they can take your gun,
your vehicle, and your hunting rights. Your hunting rights could be gone in several states
as well. You may or may not get your gun or your vehicle back. The depending on what
else you have in your possesion while comitting the crime could mean bigger problems.
If you are carrying conceled while commiting a crime, can be a crime by itself. The same
goes if you have a tax stamp for a sbr, or suppressor. If you use one of those to commit
the crime, it all ramps up even more. I had a guy with legal suppressor, shoot from the
bar ditch on my property, while he was carrying a legal handgun. He is still waiting on his
trial for multiple felonies.
Good Lord….., a guy would have to also be banging my wife and my girlfriend before I’d level all those charges on him!

Latest posts

Top Bottom