Coyote question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who cares? You can't shoot on to someone's property without permission. Regardless of where you shoot from. Are you looking for an argument or just validation?
It’s just a discussion. The way I see it there are two separate things to consider: what does it mean to shoot from the road and it what you’re shooting at is on private or public land.

Just from reading responses, nobody really knows what “the road” is. People have said it’s the road itself, 100 yards, 200 yards off, anything between fence lines regardless of distance.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The Road" when hunting is between the fences.

The regulation says no shooting from the roadway, nothing about that meaning the entire area between the fences.
That area between fences is considered the right of way for the road, typically owned by the state or county. The regulations state that

Shooting From Road​

Shooting from or across any public road, highway (or right-of-way) or railroad right-of-way is prohibited. Public roadways are defined as any governmental or corporate roadways where vehicular traffic is not restricted and the roadway is routinely used by the general public.

Public road right of way is included in the verbiage of the ODWC website and regulations. According to most practices, the "right of way" includes at least 2 8-12' travel lanes, 0-4' of shoulder, and an unspecified amount of ditch/drainage/space for signs. The state of Michigan specifies that it is exactly two rods, or 66 feet.

I cannot find anything in Oklahoma legislature specifying an exact measurement, but I did find this:

§69-1202. Highways - Right of adjoining owner.​

An owner of land bounded by a road or street is presumed to own to the center of the way, but the contrary may be shown.

So theoretically the second you exit your vehicle you are TECHNICALLY trespassing, but you will likely never be charged as such. However, when you start shooting firearms on someone's property, things slide to the side of not your favor really quick. Just don't do it. There's plenty of public land to hunt on, and plenty of peoples doors to knock on to actually get permission.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last two guys that exited their vehicle, shot two pheasants with blood in the snow on my side of the fence leaving two shotgun shell hulls next to the fence got a $700 some dollar fine each from the GW for shooting from the road, trespass to retrieve the birds and some other associated charges/fines.
According to my deed I own to the center of the road. The neighbor owns the other side. The state has an easement to build/maintain the road and drainage ditches associated with the road.
So, to answer the OP's question, road hunting is not allowed unless you have deep pockets.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It’s just a discussion. The way I see it there are two separate things to consider: what does it mean to shoot from the road and it what you’re shooting at is on private or public land.

Just from reading responses, nobody really knows what “the road” is. People have said it’s the road itself, 100 yards, 200 yards off, anything between fence lines regardless of distance.
What I told you about what the road is, is from the mouth of more than one game warden.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently some people have never owned land or have sat down and read their deeds but it pacifically states in your deed that your property line goes to the center of the roadway on county roads, city and state are different , and you pay property taxes on that part of your land but the original owners in the past signed over a road easement to have a road put in and if for any reason the road gets closed and abandon the property goes back to the current property owner. But the roadway is from fence line to fence line and if for some reason the county wants to widen that road they can do so from fence line to fence line without any questions cause they now have control over the right of way.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

All things considered and by your responses, I believe you are bound and determined to shoot a yote from your vehicle when it's crossing the road or in somebody's pasture/yard/field. I don't think anything in this thread has convinced you otherwise. Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All things considered and by your responses, I believe you are bound and determined to shoot a yote from your vehicle when it's crossing the road or in somebody's pasture/yard/field. I don't think anything in this thread has convinced you otherwise. Good luck!
Bring big $$$! GW's love to take it from road hunters.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not at all. I’m not a trespasser either. I asked a question and some folks got up in arms about private property. The last time I checked it was smart to ask questions about things that you don’t know about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom